cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips to rebuild my credit

tag
Salas_0308

Tips to rebuild my credit

Hello ALL, I'm new to this site and need some advice. I am 29yrs old and have an EQ score of 497, I made some bad financial decisions and am now paying for it. I recently got a REPO on my credit a couple months ago. I have 2 Cap One card (one is secured with a $300 limit and an unsecured with a $500 limit), a Best Buy MC ($300 limit), and a Macy's card ($2000 limit). What do I need to do to get my credit score up? Also, I have collections on my report from over 12 years ago, the collection agencies keep reporting "KM" at least once a year which I don't understand. Thanks for your input and please be kind. =)

01/10/2013 Starting Score: EX 497, EQ 519, TU 499
Current Score: EX 478, EQ 519, TU 499
Goal Score: at least 600 by mid year (realisticly)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Tips to rebuild my credit

@Salas_0308 wrote:

Hello ALL, I'm new to this site and need some advice. I am 29yrs old and have an EQ score of 497, I made some bad financial decisions and am now paying for it. I recently got a REPO on my credit a couple months ago. I have 2 Cap One card (one is secured with a $300 limit and an unsecured with a $500 limit), a Best Buy MC ($300 limit), and a Macy's card ($2000 limit). What do I need to do to get my credit score up? Also, I have collections on my report from over 12 years ago, the collection agencies keep reporting "KM" at least once a year which I don't understand. Thanks for your input and please be kind. =)

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Is there a deficiency balance on the repo? If so, do you have the $$$ to PIF if you had to? If so, send a PFD. You can always offer a settlement in there.

For max points, get all CCs to report $0 but one and get one to report a balance of under 9% of the CL.

Can you post a copy and past of the accounts showing over 12-years? They can't report that long.

Message 2 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with llecs, good advice and I too would like to see the particulars of that debt.  If it is what you believe it to be, we can guide you in the steps to remove that.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 11
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

Hey there! Welcome to the forums! 

Well, Im no expert, but here is what i would do:

1. Roam the forums and READ READ READ. Read up on GW processes, PFD agreements, SOLs, and the other credit repair basics

2. Use the search box to find threads concerning creditors that are on your CR and see what other users have gone through with them

3. GW any of the creditors with tradelines that you would like/need to keep on your CR for AAoA or other reasons

4. Utilize your current positivie tradelines strategically -- 0% on all but 1 card - leave 1 card at 9% Util . 

5. Figure out what is going on with these 12 yr collections.... shouldnt they have fallen off by now?? i would certainly look into that. Most items fall off 7 yrs +180days from DOFD. When is the DOFD for this accounts??

6. Post in the forums for advice like you're doing now-- but more detailed and specific posts so our experts can guide u and give advice. 

We all start somewhere!!! Smiley Happy We are in this together. 

Starting Score: 526 EXP 09/2012 600 FICO 10/2012 608 EX (lenderpull)11/2012
Current Score: 705 FICO TU (10/2014)Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 11
Salas_0308

Thank you for the warm welcome.  There is no balance on my repo, I actually received money back from Toyota.  I guess the car auctioned for more then I owe.  And yes, I will post the past accounts when I can.  And thank you for the advice.  My goal is to get my score back up, my husband and I own our home but the loan is under his name.  We are planning on buying another one under mine, so I am trying to get my finances back in shape.

Message 5 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds good, get to posting.  Let's get that house!

July 2013 score:

Message 6 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Salas_0308 wrote:

Thank you for the warm welcome.  There is no balance on my repo, I actually received money back from Toyota.  I guess the car auctioned for more then I owe.  And yes, I will post the past accounts when I can.  And thank you for the advice.  My goal is to get my score back up, my husband and I own our home but the loan is under his name.  We are planning on buying another one under mine, so I am trying to get my finances back in shape.

Instead of a PFd for the repo, send a GW letter because it is paid.

Message 7 of 11
Salas_0308

Here is one report, opened in 2002 and closed in 2004.  There is no other payment history until 2010, whic is a KD.  I don't undersatnd how they can say KD 6 years after the account is closed. Also, thanks for the headsup on the GW, I will get that done today. Do I send the GW to Toyota or to the 3 BU?

CREDIT ONE BANK

Potentially Negative Closed

702-269-1000
Mailing Address: PO BOX 98875   LAS VEGAS, NV 89193
More Account Details

Advertisement

Account NameCREDIT ONE BANK  
Account #473190042667XXXX  
Account TypeCredit Card  
Balance$0.00  
Date Opened10/1/2002  

Account StatusClosed  
  Mo. Payment   
 Close Account DetailsPast Due$0.00  
  Payment StatusCharge-off  
  High Balance   
  Limit$550.00  
  TermsRevolving  
  CommentsTransferred to another lender or claim purchased  
 24-Month Payment History 

2008     2009           2010     
JulAugSepOctNovDecJanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDecJanFebMarAprMayJun
NDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDKD

Month
Experian
Equifax
TransUnion

Message 8 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

We need a more detailed report.  Have you pulled from www.annualcreditreport.com?  That one doesn't have a DOFD or estimated fall off date.  Need to see that.  But it looks like this might be a reaging situation.  Just need more details.

July 2013 score:

Message 9 of 11
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Info I found on KD

When you order your credit report, you will see a number of codes below your  accounts or events in your financial  history. If you order a combined report from all three credit bureaus, one of  these codes is KD. This stands for Key Derogatory, and it describes one of a  number of negative events that can cost you points on your credit score. 

Where It Appears

• KD is one of the terms that may appear in the "Account  History"  portion of your report. If an account is current and there is no problem, you  should see the code OK in green for that month. If you see a yellow number; 30,  60 or 90, this describes the number of days of a late payment. KD usually  appears in red.

What It Describes

• Depending on the account or event, KD can describe a number of different  things. It could refer to a charge-off, a claim or a term default. It may also  It could refer to a bankruptcy petition or discharge. It could also be used if  you reaffirmed one of your loans in bankruptcy, but then had that rescinded.  Usually credit reports use a different code, RF, for foreclosures, but  occasionally a foreclosure can be represented by KD.

Age of Account

• If you are seeing KD on your report describing an event that is more than  seven years old, you may be able to dispute whether it should still appear on  your report. Many negatives must be removed after this period. Some others,  bankruptcy information included, can remain on your report for up to 10 years.  File a dispute online with the credit bureaus if you think it should be removed,  and check the rest of your report for similar old  negatives.

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.