Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips to take care of collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tips to take care of collections

I am new to this so I hope I am doing it right.  I hope this is where I can get free advice.  I have been working on improving my credit for the last 2 years and have almost gotten into the okay range.  Right now I am about at 610.  I think the main things that hurt me are 7 accounts that I currently have in collections.  I see people post something about a pdf to send to collection companies to make a settlement offer.  How do I get this?  Also I have one negative account with capital one that I dont know the best way to take care of.  On my report it says

Account NameCAP ONE  
Account #   
Account TypeCredit Card  
Balance$3,224.00  
Date Opened5/1/2002  

Account StatusClosed  
  Mo. Payment   
  Past Due$3,224.00  
  Payment StatusCharge-off  
  High Balance$3,224.00  
  Limit   
  TermsRevolving  
  CommentsCredit line closed-grantor request-reported by subscriber

It doesn't give me a current collections agency so I don't know how to try and make a settlement offer or if I even can.  Also I have 3 or 4 accounts in medical collections.  Is there a way to offer a settlement to pay them off.  If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.  I have been working a lot of overtime trying to pay stuff off and raise my credit and I want to make the best and most informed decision before paying off a bunch of stuff that might not help me out much.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Tips to take care of collections

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

For CapOne, send a PFD. If they agree in writing, then pay them and they'll delete. You could offer a settlement amount in the PFD. CapOne is very tough to deal with. They love to sue unfortunately so be on guard and they'll continue to own the debt up to the end of the SOL period. If after 2-3 tries they say "no", I personally would PIF and be done with it. It may or may not be impacting your utilization right now. I don't see a CL listed. But if it is and you pay it off, then you coulds see a significant score gain.

For the medical CAs, send a DV. If they verify and you agree, then send a PFD. The only way to improve your scores with a CA is to get it removed. A $0 balance CA is equally damaging as one with a balance.

ETA.......just noticed that your CapOne is 9 yrs old. If your AAoA is less than 9 years old and/or this is your oldest acct overall or your oldest CC, then I would not send a PFD. I'd PIF and GW later to ask them to remove any lates or CO reference.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.