Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To close or not to close, that is the question

tag
mariemeow77
Established Member

To close or not to close, that is the question

Fellow myFICOers,

Thanks so much for all your help along my rebuilding journey. I'm not near where I want to be yet; but on my way! I have had an NFCU secured card ($700 limit) since March of 2012, and yesterday got approved for an unsecured NFCU card with a $6000 limit!!! I also opened a personal loan with them in March 2013 for $2500; so that is reporting also. My score is still hanging out at around 590 as I am trying to goodwill several paid collections off. I have a military STAR card with a $3000 limit that I have had in good standing since 2008; so the secured card is not my oldest card. I also have a USAA secured MC since Oct 2012 with a $700 limit that I will keep open until I can unsecure with them in about 1.5 years. Should I close my NFCU card and use those funds to up my USAA secured card limit? I would like to garden right now and work on goodwilling these collections off. My good fortune getting a $6000 limit with NFCU is awesome! Love them!! What do you guys think??

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: To close or not to close, that is the question

Are there fees associated with the secured card?  If not, I would leave it open and just not use it.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.