Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To dispute or not to dispute

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

To dispute or not to dispute

I have successfully disputed an inaccurate item on my EQ rept.; yet it came back validated on EX. Could someone explain how/why this could possibly happen?

Also, I have read repeatedly on the forum NOT to dispute through CRAs, and I'm wondering why not. Since it came back verified on EX, does that mean it's going to be that much harder for me to get the inaccurate item off?

Before coming to this forum, I've always read that the first thing to do if there's something wrong on your CR is to dispute it with the CRA. I"d really like to know why we shouldn't do this and if I've made things worse by doing so.

Thanks!

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
tburns
Regular Contributor

Re: To dispute or not to dispute

I'm not an expert but been reading a lot since my collection appeared on my report.

I've never read to not dispute, just to not dispute online.From the paperwork the attorney sent me it's because you could be unknowingly agreeing to arbitration protecting the CRA and it's better to have a paper trail anyways.

Also from my reading this last few weeks is that Experian seems to validate inaccurate information more commonly then the others. I would send a CMRRR to Experian asking for a method of validation as your next step. From what's I've read Experian often dismisses future dispute as duplicates even if you dispute for a different reason. Which is why you would want everything on paper.

But others would probably know better. I've only disputed my current collection and it's still in process and disputed typos in the past so this is just from my reading in the last few weeks. No real experience.

Message 2 of 15
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I thought what I've read on the forum said not to dispute collections through the CRAs -- not just online, but at all. I could be wrong, though. It does seem that my disputing this item through EX has somehow made it worse because EX considers it "verified." Interesting how EQ deleted it really quickly when I disputed with them. It's almost like EQ knew they were a disreputable CA or it was an erroneous collection. EX has made it much more difficult. Plus now CA is showing as KD almost every month.

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 15
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

I think the reason that people say not to dispute through the CRAs (either online or in writing via mail) is that the CRAs generally do a crappy job of handling any dispute. From what I understand, they use an electronic/automated validation system that can easily "validate" erroneous or non-legit information. Also,k it takes a really long time, puts "dispute" comments on your credit report, etc so it's just generally a pain and not productive.

OP, I'm not sure you've really hurt youself, but you have wasted time and not incorrect info is still on your report. Who is reporting this incorrect information - the OC or a CA? That will help people advise on next steps.

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 4 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

From a moderator and myFICO forums standpoint, advocating and suggesting that someone dispute accurate info is a big no-no on these forums and therefore you really wouldn't see too many comments about that in here. There are mentions in the T&C and TOS that talk about this and a disclaimer at the front page of this board that seperate FICO from being considered a credit repair organization and therefore this forum agressively removes any suggestions to dispute legit stuff. However, talking about disputing, in and of itself, is AOK. But you don't see as many dispute suggestions in here as compared to other forums because of those rules.

I've posted ad nauseum that disputing is the last thing anyone would ever want to do anyway, even if it isn't legit. There are many dangers to it and often becomes contrary to your goals or objectives (e.g. cleaning your report and/or improving your scores). Unfortunately, other forums strongly promote the practice of disputing as one of the first things you'd want to do. Early in my repair days, I did the same and aside from a lower score, there were baddies that remained that were 10x harder to get legitimately removed because I had disputed.

In your case, OP, EX typically lets you only dispute once. If you try a second time, you might get that annoying "frivolous disputer" label. Your best bet is to go after whomever is reporting. If the CA isn't yours, send a DV anyway. At the same time if you know it isn't yours, try putting some heat on the CA via complaints with the BBB, FTC, etc. Also contact the OC as mentioned to get more info or even a statement from them saying that you don't owe anything.

Message 5 of 15
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@llecs wrote:

From a moderator and myFICO forums standpoint, advocating and suggesting that someone dispute accurate info is a big no-no on these forums and therefore you really wouldn't see too many comments about that in here. There are mentions in the T&C and TOS that talk about this and a disclaimer at the front page of this board that seperate FICO from being considered a credit repair organization and therefore this forum agressively removes any suggestions to dispute legit stuff. However, talking about disputing, in and of itself, is AOK. But you don't see as many dispute suggestions in here as compared to other forums because of those rules.

I've posted ad nauseum that disputing is the last thing anyone would ever want to do anyway, even if it isn't legit. There are many dangers to it and often becomes contrary to your goals or objectives (e.g. cleaning your report and/or improving your scores). Unfortunately, other forums strongly promote the practice of disputing as one of the first things you'd want to do. Early in my repair days, I did the same and aside from a lower score, there were baddies that remained that were 10x harder to get legitimately removed because I had disputed.

This is what I'm afraid of!

In your case, OP, EX typically lets you only dispute once. If you try a second time, you might get that annoying "frivolous disputer" label. Your best bet is to go after whomever is reporting. If the CA isn't yours, send a DV anyway. At the same time if you know it isn't yours, try putting some heat on the CA via complaints with the BBB, FTC, etc. Also contact the OC as mentioned to get more info or even a statement from them saying that you don't owe anything.

Thank you for the replies. I have filed complaints with the different agencies, so now I'm in "wait and see" mode. I'm just concerned that by having disputed and verified, it will be harder to get it off now.

EX suggested I file a fraud complaint with them, but then when they transferred me to the fraud dept., I was told that if I did that, it would put a fraud alert on all 3 of my CRs. The first rep said it wouldn't, so I've gotten conflicting info from EX themselves about that. I've opted NOT to file a fraud complaint, as I'm concerned that it might make things even worse for me with the CRAs. Plus they have "noted" my file of my call, which makes me really nervous, too.

Message 6 of 15
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Oh no, this is bad news to hear.  I disputed my settled judgment just this week at the advice of the loan officer.  She had me go online to all 3 and dispute it as now paid.

Should I not have done this?  I don't understand why not.  I would otherwise have had to wait 1-3 months for the county to update the CR's.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 7 of 15
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I disputed an inaccurate collection that I do NOT owe, so it's a different situation than yours since you owed the money and paid it. I believe that after you've paid a collection, you need to allow some time (maybe 30 days?) for the CA to send updated info to CRAs.

I'm curious as to why it is more difficult to get an inaccurate item off of our CR after we've disputed it.

Message 8 of 15
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

llecs, I just realized that you had a link in that post. Really good info. And several of the items you listed appear to have happened now, as a result of either my dispute or my call to the CA.

I guess it's too late for me to undo it, so I'll just need to wait, and hope that the complaint process will help. I just got an email today from BBB saying they have forwarded my complaint to the company. I'm not sure how effective that will be. Has anyone had good luck from a BBB complaint?

I'm concerned that all of the complaints I've made will just get the CA more angry at me and they'll do even more damage to my CR... and definitely would not PFD if it came down to that.

If the CRA does put a fraud alert on your CR, does that hurt our credit or score?

Thank you!

edited to correct spelling. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@bichonmom wrote:

If the CRA does put a fraud alert on your CR, does that hurt our credit or score?

No impact to FICO. Just a minor hassle to get removed. It could hurt if in the middle of a mortgage or something like that. While in underwriting, I became a victim of ID theft and even my lender suggested I file a FA. But I knew if they ran my report again (they never did) I may or may not have to remove it to be cleared for closing.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.