Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To get rid of a credit card or not?

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: To get rid of a credit card or not?

That's an option he has to weigh.  I would wait on closing them until he can get a better card.  The AF is a killer but doing it too soon could hurt by lowering the overall CL thus making utilization rise.

Once OP can get a couple of prime I would close them. 

Message 11 of 14
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

That's an option he has to weigh.  I would wait on closing them until he can get a better card.  The AF is a killer but doing it too soon could hurt by lowering the overall CL thus making utilization rise.

Once OP can get a couple of prime I would close them. 

I agree !!!! But with the interst rates on these cards i feel he don't carry a  large bal.  ( which won't hurt his utilization )....... He will have to keep it down till he can get a prime card

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks newport guy and guiness56 for your help.

Message 13 of 14
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

it really depends on what kind of balances you are carrying if next to nothing def close 1st permier if you havent read the thread posted earlier give it a look and just and fyi i just closed my 1st premier and they will try anything to get you to keep it open don't fall for it once you call do not hang up w. out closing and be sure to verify it will be reported as closed by consumer
Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.