Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To pay or not to pay a charged off card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To pay or not to pay a charged off card

Back in mid October of 2010 my Hooters card was charged off, My balance was $600 and will have the money this month to pay it off.  My question is at this point in time has too much time passed by to where it will now hurt me more than it will help me by changing the "last activity date" and paying off the balance so the creditor changes its status from charged off to payed in full or whatever they cchange it too instead of letting it stay as charged off ?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
inthematrix
Regular Contributor

Re: To pay or not to pay a charged off card

Paying the charge-off in full won't restart the clock on your drop-off date. Drop-off dates go by date of first delinquency, not last activity date. It is possible under some circumstances to re-start your clock but that usually happens when you negotiate with a debt collector on payment arrangements, especially if you were to miss one of the payments. 

There is one big disadvantage to paying off the charge-off and that's that a paid collection and an unpaid collection have exactly the same effect on your credit score. So paying this isn't going to raise your score. Paying it is the right thing to do, of course, but before you pay in full, try to negotiate to get the tradeline removed from your credit report. Is the debt still with Hooters or has it been purchased by a Collection Agency?  Try sending a lettter to whoever currently holds the debt telling them you'd like to pay the outstanding balance in full in return for their removing the charge-off from your credit reports. If they agree to do it, be sure to get it in writing from them before you send a penny. If it's not in writing, it didn't happen.

Sometimes you have to ask more than once before they'll agree to a PFD (pay for delete). It all depends on the culture of the company.Before you send out anything, I'd do  some searching on this board for people's experience with getting PFDs from Hooters (or from your particular Collection Agency if the charge-off has already been sold). It will give you a much better idea of what you're up against and the best way to approach them.

Starting Score 7/5/10: 498 (EQ)
Current Score 659 (EQ) 699 (EX) 712 (TU)
Goal Score: 700 (for now)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.