cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To pay or not to pay that is the question.

tag
asgor
Valued Member

To pay or not to pay that is the question.

I only have  2 accounts in collections and they are medical bills and I am wondering if I should pay them or not due to the dates. My ultimate goal is to be able to buy a house in the next year or so.  I have been trying PFD and received no answer at all.

Collection on debt to: 

The collection agency "682YC00000" was hired to collect a debt of $482 on account number "XXXXX3428".              

Collection agency [?]Original balance [?]Current balance [?]Date assigned [?]Account number [?]Account holder [?]Account descriptions [?]
            682YC00000                       
$482
$482
Apr, 2008
            XXXXX3428                       
                        Individual                      
Medical
Collection on debt to: 

The collection agency "795YC00000" was hired to collect a debt of $150 on account number "XXXXXX0577".              

Collection agency [?]Original balance [?]Current balance [?]Date assigned [?]Account number [?]Account holder [?]Account descriptions [?]
            795YC00000                       
$150
$150
Apr, 2008
            XXXXXX0577                       
                        Individual                      
Medical
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: To pay or not to pay that is the question.

You may need a report from the CRA to get the CA names. 

Then send the PFDs.

Are you sure these are your debts?  In or outside of your state SOL?

Message 2 of 5
asgor
Valued Member

I am sure they are my debts. I had no insurance and was rushed to the hospital for severe hives and tongues swelling to find out I have a gluten allergy Smiley Sad

Should I dispute them anyway?  I do have the correct addresses to collectors just not hearing a response its been 60 days

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Both collections show a date assigned to them for collection of 4/2008.

While that is of some help, that merely reports the date they opened their collection.

Exclusion of the collections is based on the DOFD on the OC account, which is not provided.  DOFD must be prior to the collection, so it will be prior to 4/2008, with credit report exclusion required no later than 7 years plus 180 days after the DOFD.

Once the collections become excluded from your credit report, that will prevent one from becoming aware of the unpaid debt by a simple pull of your credit report, and seeing the presence of an unpaid collection on a delinquent debt.  However, the debt remains unsatisfied, and thus may affect the grant of new credit if the creditor becomes aware thru other means.  Not paying based solely on credit report exclusion thus always runs the risk of future problems.

Aside from the fact that it is against the terms of service of the site to advise not to pay legitimate debt, it is always beneficial to satisfy any unpaid, delinquent debt.

Expiration of both SOL and credit report inclusion may act as incentive for the the owner to settle for much less than the full amount of the debt, and with CR exclusion having passed, it wont show in your credit report.

Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, don't dispute them.  There is no basis to.

I would just contact them by phone and tell them you want to do a pay for delete.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.