Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To pay or not to pay?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To pay or not to pay?

Hello everyone!

I'm currently process of rebuilding my credit, I have combed through my credit report and notice I have (4) accounts open for collections.

I am in a financial position to pay these off but I wanted to get some advice on the best way to approach this?

Do I just call the collection company and tell them I want to pay this in full or do I try and settle on the amounts? 

They are as follows,

Last Reported- Oct 19, 2014.  Collection Agency-ENHANCRCVRCO.  Original Creditor-COMCAST CABLE COMMUNICATIONS. Status- Open
Responsibility Individual Balance- $ 102

Last Reporte- Jan 31, 2014. Collection Agency- PACIFIC COAS. Original Creditor- Imaging center. Status- Open. Responsibility Individual Balance- $ 102

Last Reporte- Aug 31, 2010. Collection Agency- PACIFIC COAS. Original Creditor- Dentist.  Status- Open. Responsibility Individual Balance- $ 155

Last Reporte- Apr 08, 2014. Collection Agency- PROF CREDIT. Original Creditor- NATURAL GAS.  Status- Open. Responsibility Individual Balance- $ 103

I have 2 Capital One Credit cards that I have kept in good standings for the past year now but just cant seem to pull my score out of the 500's. I am hoping getting these accounts paid off will help me out. I am Getting married and hoping to buy a home in the next couple years and any advice would be greatly appreciated!.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
izzesparks
Frequent Contributor

Re: To pay or not to pay?

Since they are all small amounts I would personally pay them in full if it was what I truly owed minus all the crazy fees some collection agencies may try to tack on. I would call and try a PFD first. The medical collections are usually easier to delete. In my situation they deleted with just a phone call, I read on here some others had to go through the HIPAA process. Google it or enter it in search field here to read more on it, as I am not very familiar with it myself.

But I definitely recommend calling for a PFD first, if they say no and you have time, try sending a letter.

Starting Score: TU-470 4/11/19, EQ-482 4/11/19, EX-486 4/11/19
Current Score: TU-507 7/18/19, EQ-517 7/18/19, EX-508 7/18/19
Goal Score: TU-700, EQ-700, EX-700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone!

I'm currently process of rebuilding my credit, I have combed through my credit report and notice I have (4) accounts open for collections.

I am in a financial position to pay these off but I wanted to get some advice on the best way to approach this?

Do I just call the collection company and tell them I want to pay this in full or do I try and settle on the amounts? 

They are as follows,

Last Reported- Oct 19, 2014.  Collection Agency-ENHANCRCVRCO.  Original Creditor-COMCAST CABLE COMMUNICATIONS. Status- Open
Responsibility Individual Balance- $ 102

Last Reporte- Jan 31, 2014. Collection Agency- PACIFIC COAS. Original Creditor- Imaging center. Status- Open. Responsibility Individual Balance- $ 102

Last Reporte- Aug 31, 2010. Collection Agency- PACIFIC COAS. Original Creditor- Dentist.  Status- Open. Responsibility Individual Balance- $ 155

Last Reporte- Apr 08, 2014. Collection Agency- PROF CREDIT. Original Creditor- NATURAL GAS.  Status- Open. Responsibility Individual Balance- $ 103

I have 2 Capital One Credit cards that I have kept in good standings for the past year now but just cant seem to pull my score out of the 500's. I am hoping getting these accounts paid off will help me out. I am Getting married and hoping to buy a home in the next couple years and any advice would be greatly appreciated!.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Any late payments on the Cap One cards? How long have you had them? what are the balances on them?

Have you had any contact at all with Enhanced Recovery? When did the account go delinquent?

Are there any other negatives on your reports?

You need to get one more revolving account established.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 capital one cards. First one is a secured card with a $200 limit. Second card is unsecured with a limit of $300 limit. I have never had a late payment and always pay in full every month,

I have not had any contact with enhanced recovery, the open date reports as Apr 29, 2013. I honestly did't know it existed till I went through my report

I had some delinquent student loans a couple years ago, when I went back to school I ended up consolidating them into a new loan which I now make payments on every

month.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 2 capital one cards. First one is a secured card with a $200 limit. Second card is unsecured with a limit of $300 limit. I have never had a late payment and always pay in full every month,

I have not had any contact with enhanced recovery, the open date reports as Apr 29, 2013. I honestly did't know it existed till I went through my report

I had some delinquent student loans a couple years ago, when I went back to school I ended up consolidating them into a new loan which I now make payments on every

month.

Is the ERC item a legit bill?

I would settle items 2 and 4 (with a PFD if you can get it) since they are very recent. If they start updating item 3 then settle that one too - but if not just let it lie.

If #1 is a legit bill, I would contact Comcast direct and see if they still own it.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.