Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many new credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Too many new credit cards

So, when I started this journey to good credit, I basically wanted any card that I could get my hands on. I now have a $15,000 card, a $1,000 card and a tradeline that shows me as an authorized user for the past 5 years for about an $8,000 card. Now, my issue is, I also have another 4-5 cards that are less than 6 months old and a few of them are even secured(without the ability to unsecure them no matter how long I may keep them). With these cards in good standing and have neve been late(really, never even been used) is there any way to get them closed and removed from my credit reports completely so that they don't have such a huge negative impact on my AAoC?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Too many new credit cards

You can close them at any time, but the only way to remove them from your reports that I'm aware of is by GW letters.
Message 2 of 7
Teo
Valued Member

Since your 4-5 less desirable cards are 6 months old or less, if it were me, I'd just close the ones that won't grow with you or that you consider "trash cards." Even if closing them negatively affects your score, it shouldn't for long because of your 5 year history and the other (presumably not trash?) cards.
Current FICO 743, no baddies
April '16 550 4 collections

Current credit and limits (in order of approval)
Discover It (Unsecured at 6 mos) 4.6k -- Cap 1 Quicksilver One (900) -- Overstock (3800) -- NFCU Cash Rewards (25k) -- Share Secured Installment (500 - paid down to 40ish) -- Amex PRG (NPSL) -- Amex BCP (25k) -- Amex EDP (15k) -- Citi Advantage (10k)
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Teo wrote:
Since your 4-5 less desirable cards are 6 months old or less, if it were me, I'd just close the ones that won't grow with you or that you consider "trash cards." Even if closing them negatively affects your score, it shouldn't for long because of your 5 year history and the other (presumably not trash?) cards.

even closed, it will stil show the cards as having been opened and will still lower my AAoC, right?

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They will continue to be included in your AAoA calculation under FICO, and you will lose the credit limit as part of the denominator in your combined % util calculation.

No real FICO scoring benefit unless you can get the creditor to delete the account in total.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

They will continue to be included in your AAoA calculation under FICO, and you will lose the credit limit as part of the denominator in your combined % util calculation.

No real FICO scoring benefit unless you can get the creditor to delete the account in total.

for those who have never had an issues with the creditors, no lates or anything. is it plausable and feasible to close out an account with the promise that they also delete the account from the credit reports? or do they pretty much stick to their guns and leave them on their regardless of how good your relationship is/was

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

for those who have never had an issues with the creditors, no lates or anything. is it plausable and feasible to close out an account with the promise that they also delete the account from the credit reports? or do they pretty much stick to their guns and leave them on their regardless of how good your relationship is/was

They would more than likely leave them on your reports.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.