Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Credit Limit

tag
sge760
Contributor

Total Credit Limit

Other than having a few 30 day lates and a charge off, (have to continue to goodwill), the USAA score estimator predicts a total credit limit of over $2000 will provide a good boost, and a total credit limit of over $5000 will provide an even better boost in score - (because it is easier to maintain low credit limits).

I know those estimators aren't always accurate. Would you all agree that this is true information?  I don't want to waste an inquiry on obtaining a secured card if it really won't help me.  (I need to wait a bit longer to request credit limit increases for the cards)

Credit Mix:  

Revolving:2 credit cards - $300 each ($600 total) (utilization: 2% on 1 card, $0 balance on other)

Installment:1 student loan - never late 

I am also an authorized user for my father's AMEX with a limit of $20,000.  His card boosts my AAoA, but it doesn't help my total credit limit or my utilization.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Total Credit Limit

No, its not correct.  FICO doesn't care about your credit limits, only your utilization %.

However, if you have cards with higher limits ($5k is a good number), future creditors will approve you for cards with similar or higher credit limits.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 4
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@sge760 wrote:

Other than having a few 30 day lates and a charge off, (have to continue to goodwill), the USAA score estimator predicts a total credit limit of over $2000 will provide a good boost, and a total credit limit of over $5000 will provide an even better boost in score - (because it is easier to maintain low credit limits).

I know those estimators aren't always accurate. Would you all agree that this is true information?  I don't want to waste an inquiry on obtaining a secured card if it really won't help me.  (I need to wait a bit longer to request credit limit increases for the cards)

Credit Mix:  

Revolving:2 credit cards - $300 each ($600 total) (utilization: 2% on 1 card, $0 balance on other)

I am also an authorized user for my father's AMEX with a limit of $20,000.  His card boosts my AAoA, but it doesn't help my total credit limit or my utilization.

How so?  You do not show a CL of 20k on your Amex TL?

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 4
sge760
Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

@sge760 wrote:

Credit Mix:  

How so?  You do not show a CL of 20k on your Amex TL?

No it doesn't show the 20k on the tradeline. It just says "Open in 1993"...$0 balance.

The credit summary shows my utilization is $6 out of $600 being used.   It does not include the $20,000 limit from my father's card.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.