mikehartigan

Traffic violation is not mine - how to get CA to acknowledge that

[ Edited ]

I was harassed by phone a year or so ago by a local municipality for a $60 debt.  Repeated requests for documentation were ignored.  Eventually, it was sent to a CA, from whom I requested documentation in writing.  They sent me a copy of a traffic ticket with my name and address on it.  However, the Drivers License number and date of birth hand written on the ticket belong to my son.  The name and address evidently came from the license plate on the vehicle - likely the first thing that was checked when he was pulled over.  We share the same name, the only exception being the middle initial - I'm speculating the officer simply didn't notice the MI and left it the computer entered name/address on the ticket.  I advised the CA of this in January of this year, even going so far as to telling them who they were likely after.  I now see this item on two of my credit reports (my otherwise 800+ credit score took a 100 point hit as a result).  I disputed this and the CA verified it, almost immediately.  They refuse to acknowledge that this is not my debt..

Where do I go from here?

Frequent Contributor
daboss28

Re: Traffic violation is not mine - how to get CA to acknowledge that

Well now you have your documentation ... I would take that down to your town hall traffic divisions or call them to speak to someone from that department.  I wouldn't deal with the CA anymore.  You should address the fact that the ticket drivers license number and dob do not match your own.  DL is an identifier that doesn't change and your not gonna have two within the same state.  This is in all in an effort to clear yourself and them to recall the debt from the CA.

They seem to want anyone to pay that measley 60 dollars but that's just not how things work.  If it's an earnest mistake you should have no problem with them clearing your name given the information on the ticket.

If that doesn't work you can contact your states AG and see what their jurisdiction is on the matter since we're talking a municipality.  You can also suggest that your son pays his own tickets from now on becuase his actions may not only affect himself since he carries your name.

EQ 715 8-4-12 // Walmart TU 720 8-11-12 // TU 04 744 (cc pull) 8-23-12 EXP (cc pull) 707 8-23-12
~~In my wallet: Chase Freedom, Discover More , US Bank, Walmart Discover, CitiDividend Platinum Select , Target Red Card

Photobucket
Valued Contributor
Uborrow-Upay

mikehartigan wrote:

I was harassed by phone a year or so ago by a local municipality for a $60 debt.  Repeated requests for documentation were ignored.  Eventually, it was sent to a CA, from whom I requested documentation in writing.  They sent me a copy of a traffic ticket with my name and address on it.  However, the Drivers License number and date of birth hand written on the ticket belong to my son.  The name and address evidently came from the license plate on the vehicle - likely the first thing that was checked when he was pulled over.  We share the same name, the only exception being the middle initial - I'm speculating the officer simply didn't notice the MI and left it the computer entered name/address on the ticket.  I advised Armor Systems of this in January of this year, even going so far as to telling them who they were likely after.  I now see this item on two of my credit reports (my otherwise 800+ credit score took a 100 point hit as a result).  I disputed this and the CA verified it, almost immediately.  They refuse to acknowledge that this is not my debt..

Where do I go from here?

First off, I'd give "the other mikehartigan" a swift kick in the butt for not letting you know about a ticket he received while in your vehicle.  I'm guessing...he just tossed it?

I'd also check DMV records to see if points have been assessed against your license.  If this happened the way you described it above (officer checked the registration, then left the info on the computer, etc.), you may have a ding on your DMV record.  Have your auto insurance rates increased at all?

I don't know what the violation was here, or if the penalty would go against the vehicle (more precisely, its owner) rather than the driver, like a parking violation would.

I may be off base, but I'd check on that, too. 

Please let us know how you make out with this.

mikehartigan

Just thought I'd post a follow up in case anybody is interested.  The CA asked me to fax them a copy of the ticket (actually, it was the copy they sent me a few months prior), along with a copy of my driver's license.  They agreed that it wasn't mine and removed it from my CR.  Frankly, this went far more smoothly than I expected.  I suspect the folks at any CA are instinctively defensive when they answer the phone - the callers are usually p*ssed off from the word 'Hello'.  Rightly or wrongly, it is what it is.  Once she realized that I was being rational (and that I was right), she became downright pleasant and worked with me toward resolving the issue.  The fact that I was pleasant in my approach probably didn't hurt - something I've learned over years of dealing with Customer Service.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}