Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trans Union - dirty little secret

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Trans Union - dirty little secret

I found this by accident while researching an article I'm writing on credit scoring issues.

http://www.transunion.com/corporate/business/solutions/collections/first-party_recovery-scores.page

http://www.transunion.com/corporate/business/collections/third-party_accrd.page

If you wonder why when you make a payoff on a collection why other CA's seem to come out of the woodwork or if you wonder why when you apply to pre-qualify for a mortgage loan why zombie debt gets posted to your credit report, just follow the links. The CRA's "big brother" your information and sell it to the debt collectors. I have to admit I was surprised to find this information - if TU does it you can bet EX and EQ do too.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Trans Union - dirty little secret

Yep ~ there are similar "services" offered by EX and EQ. They All do it unfortunately.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 6
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Wow! That's really unsettling.
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 6
2NE1
Established Contributor

how can we avoid all of these?! Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@2NE1 wrote:

how can we avoid all of these?! Smiley Surprised

I don't know because I am "opted out" and have my CRA's accounts frozen, and still, I recently received a letter from a CA regarding an old debt from back in the early 90's.  This nonsense started coming out of the woodwork when my husband and I applied for credit after having living for many years on the cash system.  Some of the letters I've received reference debts that have nothing to do with us and, some -- as the one I mentioned, are from YEARS ago.  I thought opting out and freezing my CRA accounts would make all the difference but, so far, that is not the case. 

Message 5 of 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Yes, they all three do it.

There was a discussion here not long ago about this - and the concensus was that opting out would NOT prevent credit alerts/triggers to be sent.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.