cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TransUnion Tax Lien Removal Success Through CFPB!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TransUnion Tax Lien Removal Success Through CFPB!

I have a Federal tax lien on record. Because of the recent changes, both EX and EQ removed it from my reports, but I filed a dispute with TU and they said it was going to remain. So I filed a complaint with CFPB and just got an email last night saying TU had responded to my complaint. So I logged in and sure enough, TU says they have again reviewed my information and decided they will remove it from my credit report and are going to send me an updated copy of my report in a few days. Yay!

I still have a lot of collections (mostly medical and old utility bills that got shut off when I couldn't pay them a few years ago). But this is definitely huge!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TransUnion Tax Lien Removal Success Through CFPB!

@Anonymous.

Congrats.  That's wonderful news. Thanks for sharing.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting this! I didn't know this was an option. I ran into this with TR recently and had no idea how to get it removed. I just submitted my complaint. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yay! Glad I could help, and I hope it works for you, lashbie!

Message 4 of 8
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Federal tax lien on record. Because of the recent changes, both EX and EQ removed it from my reports, but I filed a dispute with TU and they said it was going to remain. So I filed a complaint with CFPB and just got an email last night saying TU had responded to my complaint. So I logged in and sure enough, TU says they have again reviewed my information and decided they will remove it from my credit report and are going to send me an updated copy of my report in a few days. Yay!

I still have a lot of collections (mostly medical and old utility bills that got shut off when I couldn't pay them a few years ago). But this is definitely huge!

Awesome I need to do this myself for a State Tax lien. Do I start with a simple dispute? If so what reason do i put down for the Dispute?

Cheryl

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 5 of 8
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

@Cheryla18 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Awesome I need to do this myself for a State Tax lien. Do I start with a simple dispute? If so what reason do i put down for the Dispute?

Cheryl

Start by checking the intial lien filing to see if it has your date of birth and your FULL social security number. If it doesn't have your DOB and it's only showing the last four digits or is entirely blacked out like mine was, it falls under the new guidelines. It was supposed to happen automagically via internal review at the credit agencies, but lots of us - myself included - had to poke one or more of the credit agencies with the CFPB (consumer finance dot gov) to get them to comply. (I'd start with the agencies themselves before breaking out the big guns, personally.) Anyway, if you need to go the CFPB route, click the button to file a complaint, select which agencies haven't complied with the new rule, explain that you want the lien released because it doesn't meet the new reporting guidelines, and attach a scan of the court filing as proof. Then wait. And wait. And wait some more for Equifax because they're jerks.

Message 6 of 8
ecb
New Contributor

That's great because I have had one in on TU for a week now for same thing. Waiting on results
Message 7 of 8
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@CrankyDave wrote:

@Cheryla18 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Cheryl

Start by checking the intial lien filing to see if it has your date of birth and your FULL social security number. If it doesn't have your DOB and it's only showing the last four digits or is entirely blacked out like mine was, it falls under the new guidelines. It was supposed to happen automagically via internal review at the credit agencies, but lots of us - myself included - had to poke one or more of the credit agencies with the CFPB (consumer finance dot gov) to get them to comply. (I'd start with the agencies themselves before breaking out the big guns, personally.) Anyway, if you need to go the CFPB route, click the button to file a complaint, select which agencies haven't complied with the new rule, explain that you want the lien released because it doesn't meet the new reporting guidelines, and attach a scan of the court filing as proof. Then wait. And wait. And wait some more for Equifax because they're jerks.

Sweet. I just got the copies of my tax lien and it only has the last 4 digits and no DOB.

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.