Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TransUnion

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

TransUnion

I tried pulling my free annual credit report from TransUnion.  It wanted me to jump through a few more hoops for ID verification.

Then we came to a screen that asked me to do one or the other or a combo for further ID verification.

I clicked on the first button.  It wanted my cc numbers.  I entered them, they verified that they were all correct.

Then it told me to fill in the blanks for another address.  It listed 4 street names/cities/states/countries and told me to fill in the street numbers and zip code.  Uh, I have never lived anywhere else in my credit history!

Since I can not provide information that I do not have, it will not allow me to access my credit report at all.  Oh, an finding a number with a real person...?  Right...

Anyone else have to go through this quadriple ID verification process?

Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jackg
Established Contributor

Re: TransUnion

The proper web site for FREE reports from all 3 CRA's, once a year is annualcreditreport.com. There are many web sites with very similiar variations as their address but they will try to charge you for your reports. For your sake I hope the transaction did not go through, although I think you had the proper one.

"I clicked on the first button.  It wanted my cc numbers.  I entered them, they verified that they were all correct."  Was the question in reference to validating your ID?

"Then it told me to fill in the blanks for another address.  It listed 4 street names/cities/states/countries and told me to fill in the street numbers and zip code.  Uh, I have never lived anywhere else in my credit history!" Then it should have given you the option to respond by saying "none of the above". They do ask trick questions.

Anyone else have to go through this quadriple ID verification process? Yes, before you try again I suggest you have available on your desk any credit history info you may have, acct #'s for car loans, mortgages, etc. It won't be quite so frustrating that way, also I think they give an option to "pause" the process while you dig up the answer to the question.

Good Luck next time!

FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 2 of 6
boireann
Regular Contributor

Nope!  And I just did mine a month ago.  They asked a series of questions along the lines of

Which bank do you have a loan at

5 choices

which of the following counties have you lived in

pick one from 5 choices

how much is your monthly payment on loan with XXX bank

pick one of 5 choice

They were all very generic questions.  no where did it ask for specific financial details such as credit card number or bank number or to fill in information.  Just 4 or 5 multiple choice questions with a none of the above option.  If you get one of the questions wrong based on what they have in your report then you get the window that says they can't process at this time and to mail them your request for the free report.

sounds like you were not at the legitimate website but at one of the others that say they are the free report website.

With all the things it wants you to fill in makes me really nervous that it's a phishing website faking the real website looking for banking/credit card info for identity theft.

01/07 scores: Too scared to find out after looking at my free CRA reports
03/08 scores: TU: 660 EQ: 646 EX: 624
09/09 scores: TU: 735 EQ: 778 EX: ???
02/10 scores: TU: 779 EQ: 801 EX: 798 (home loan officer pull)
03/14 scores: TU 799 EQ: 809 EX: 817 (car loan credit union pull)
All that hard work paid off!!!! I'm now a happy home owner with an awesome interest rate!

CC Limits Garden Amex Clear $23000, USAA World Amex $15000, USAA Wold MasterCard $15000, BECU Visa $10,000, PenFed Visa $15000. Took a long time to get nice limits and low interest from that first app to BECU for $500 when I first started cleaning up my reports.
Message 3 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Thank you for the responses.

1.  I did go through the free annual credit report sites.  The other two cb's had no problem providing the report.  

2.  I checked the other 2 cbs and all of the information was correct.

3.  I had all of my credit history and files on the desk as I went through the TransUnion ordeal.

4.  I can NOT provide information that is false -- meaning, the address fill in the blanks were never my address!  I have lived at one address only in my adult credit life.  There is only one address listed with the other 2 cb's.  TransUnion verified the first address early on...and I have no clue about the verification address thing!  It makes no sense to me!

5.  I went back to the annual credit sight several times and tried to re-enter TransUnion.  They still said no, because I could not verify the unknown address and "none of the above" was NOT an option!  It was a fill in the blank.  Argh! 

Message 4 of 6
boireann
Regular Contributor

Wow.  I did not get any of that kind of stuff at all.  Definitely no fill in the blank stuff at all.    Filling in the blank to that extent online makes me very nervous!  All three of my reports were just pick one or none of the above options.

Weird. 

I did have to go the mail in request route for EX because I my computer crashed int he middle of it.  when I went back to try it again, it just sent me to the screen about how to get it by mail.

01/07 scores: Too scared to find out after looking at my free CRA reports
03/08 scores: TU: 660 EQ: 646 EX: 624
09/09 scores: TU: 735 EQ: 778 EX: ???
02/10 scores: TU: 779 EQ: 801 EX: 798 (home loan officer pull)
03/14 scores: TU 799 EQ: 809 EX: 817 (car loan credit union pull)
All that hard work paid off!!!! I'm now a happy home owner with an awesome interest rate!

CC Limits Garden Amex Clear $23000, USAA World Amex $15000, USAA Wold MasterCard $15000, BECU Visa $10,000, PenFed Visa $15000. Took a long time to get nice limits and low interest from that first app to BECU for $500 when I first started cleaning up my reports.
Message 5 of 6
Chadius
Contributor

I got the same thing. I ended up calling their automated line and received it a week later.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.