Transunion Rep Said DOFD Cannot Be Found

tag
jbh
Established Contributor

Transunion Rep Said DOFD Cannot Be Found

She told me to find out from Verizon Smiley Happy

Is this for real?

Exp had my fall off date as 11/10. I would HOPE they are accurate since I can
use the NY 5 year law to my advantage. That said, is it really legit for TU or any CRA to not have this info?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Transunion Rep Said DOFD Cannot Be Found

jbh wrote:
She told me to find out from Verizon Smiley Happy

Is this for real?

Exp had my fall off date as 11/10. I would HOPE they are accurate since I can
use the NY 5 year law to my advantage. That said, is it really legit for TU or any CRA to not have this info?

Does anyone know if EX's or TU's drop off date factors in NY's paid 5 yr CRTP?

If not, jbh, I say TU reads the DOFD at 11/2003. Otherwise w/ the 5 yr rule then 11/2005.

I wouldn't put too much faith in CSR from the CRAs. I've read too many cookie responses from them.

Dopey Doh! I hate math. 2010 minus 7 yrs does not equal 2002. Sorry for the bad info.

Message Edited by llecs on 09-02-2008 08:09 PM
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CRAs do NOT factor the NY law. You neen to dispute it and tell them that NY law states that all paid collections be deleted from CR 5 years from DOFD
Message 3 of 9
jbh
Established Contributor

Thanks. EX says it's natural (7 year) drop off is 11/10 so on 11/08 I'll remind them both to delete as NY requests. That said, how does a cra not have this info? I found that to be surprising. Maybe I give them too much credit Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 9
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

HappyDays wrote:
The CRAs do NOT factor the NY law. You neen to dispute it and tell them that NY law states that all paid collections be deleted from CR 5 years from DOFD

I can speak to this from recent experience.  On EX and EQ I have a long, long paid CapOne CO (chargeoff).  In fact, DOFD is 9/03 on both the "E's."  I disputed online with EX last week and have yet to hear from them.

I disputed CMRRR with EQ who uncharacteristically responded very quickly with the following:

"We have researched the credit account.  The results are:  NY residents, be advised that a paid charge off/collection remains on your file 5 years from the date of last activity.  If you have additional questions please contact....."...blah, blah, blah.

Within 3 days of receiving this in the mail from EQ, it was deleted.  I got a TC alert about this mid-last week but SW has yet to recognize it.  I'm waiting patiently.

Long answer to a simple question.   TU deleted this in May.  TU loves me. 

atlast....

Message Edited by atlastontheroad on 09-02-2008 10:49 PM
Ficos 2/17/08: TU 551 EQ 534 EX 587
Ficos 2/12/09 TU 695 EQ 715 EX 715
Fico...4/15/10....drumroll.....EQ 743
Message 5 of 9
jbh
Established Contributor

I just wish TU would actually KNOW the dofd. I now have to get this from the OC. It's pathetic.
Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRA DOES know.  Ask them for the current "FCRA Compliance Date" that is recorded in your file for that account.  That is a standard field code that is requried to be reported and accurately updated by any creditor supplying consumer information to your credit file.  If they cannot supply it, then it means that the creditor (Verizon) has not reported it, and thus have not complied with CRA reporting requirements.

Many creditors dont comply with proper DOFD determination, which ultimately fixes the FCRA Compliance Date.  A creditor reports a DOFD into the FCRA Compliance Code field whenever a first delinquency occurs on an account.  That date remains fixed until the account is later brought current by the consumer.  Later delinquencies after the DOFD before the account is brought current cannot update the DOFD, and thus FCRA Compliance Date. The FCRA Compliance Date can ONLY be update if (a) the account is brought current after a later delinquency, and (b) a later delinquency then occurs.  This then becomes the new DOFD for FCRA compliance purposes.

I would simply ask the CRA to provide you with the current FCRA Compliance Date recorded in your credit file, and then go back to Verizon if it is not correnct.  I would not first spar with the CRA.  They record what is reported to them, and are not the originators of the the data in their files.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 09-03-2008 12:16 AM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 09-03-2008 12:18 AM
Message 7 of 9
jbh
Established Contributor

Thanks, Robert

I actually talked to Verizon and the rep brought up 10/03 as the date for collections but then the CA that I paid off said it was 8/04

Now, Experian has the 7 year drop off as 11/10, which fits with what the OC said. But Debt Recovery Solutions disagrees and focused on the date of charge off. I don't know if I can trust any of these bozos to give me a straight answer as TU was useless. I will use your advice to see if Tu can help again. This is maddening.

Now it seems the NY 5 year law (remove paid collections after 5 years), which I thought would help me, cannot help me until maybe 08/09 :/ ??

Message Edited by jbh on 09-03-2008 09:32 AM
Message 8 of 9
jbh
Established Contributor

Robert, YOU RULE!

I was able to get DOFD through your advice. It's now 2/04 so on 2/09 I get to have that paid ca deleted. Experian disagreed with the fall off date (Stating 11/10) but whatever.

TY
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.