cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion dispute = wrong account status?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Transunion dispute = wrong account status?

I have a repo on my credit reports from my divorce in 2012. I recently checked my reports and saw the balance was $10252. That was the balance before they auctioned the car off so I filed a dispute with TU resulting in an update from the OC Who still lists the debt. EQ updated to show the proper balance of $5800, no change on Exp so far. But TU shows a CO paid in full $0 balance. Should I just leave this?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Transunion dispute = wrong account status?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a repo on my credit reports from my divorce in 2012. I recently checked my reports and saw the balance was $10252. That was the balance before they auctioned the car off so I filed a dispute with TU resulting in an update from the OC Who still lists the debt. EQ updated to show the proper balance of $5800, no change on Exp so far. But TU shows a CO paid in full $0 balance. Should I just leave this?

I would.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Transunion dispute = wrong account status?

Does your TU report show a charge-off with a current balance of $0, or does it also show that the debt was paid in full?

Updating the balance to $0 does not mean the debt was paid.

The answer resides in whether the creditor has sold the debt.

With an unpaid debt, it is certainly worthwhile determining who owns the debt.

I would call the creditor and inquire as to whether they have sold the debt, and if so, obtain their name, as the creditor would be done with the debt.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.