cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried PFD, got verification with personal information.

tag
ALD22
New Contributor

Tried PFD, got verification with personal information.

I'm trying to clean up the last few medical collections on my report. There were two very small ones that I offered to PFD and the CA sent a validation letter with a copy of the orignal bill including the procedures that were done. It doesn't say in the letter they will accept a PFD, only to remit payment within 10 days. I did this before i read about the HIPAA process which I am going to do with the other two bigger collections I have. What are my next steps with this one? Do I pay it and then ask for a goodwill delete? 

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tried PFD, got verification with personal information.

For my medical collection - when they vaildated with tons of info on me I sent a hardball letter telling them basically they shouldn't have all those details on me. It was my understanding CAs should only get limited info on you when it comes to medical. I wanted them to know I mean't business. They disappeared very fast no letters or anything. I called the hospital and was like so the CA won't accept payment but I want to just take of this so we can all move on. They *finally* accepted after verifying the CA closed it. at first they wouldn't even talk to me after I got a dunning letter from a CA. They even accepted a settlement offer better than the CA was going to offer. And they tripled checked that none of this was on my credit reports.

It was extremely stressful but I was trying to prevent them from going on my credit after receiving a dunning letter after I was done repairing. If you don't want to try this hardball route (for instance if it has been a long time since receiving the dunning letter) I'd settle for a PFD. If that doesn't work settle and try getting a goodwill.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Tried PFD, got verification with personal information.

Medical providers are limited under HIPAA to only providing basic information necessary to carry out collection of a debt to a debt collector.

That cannot identify any information regarding what medical services were provided.

If the debt collector was provided information that is a violation of HIPAA, recourse is against the medical provider for violation of the privacy requirements of HIPAA.

You should file a HIPAA complaint against them.

Violation of the privacy restrictions under HIPAA is not basis, per se, for requring deletion of the collection.

It is basis for a separate non-compliance complaint under HIPAA.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.