Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triple reporting student loan.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,
I have a small student loan left over from 1998 that I have a mostly good history with.  There were 3 instances that I went over 60 days (the most recent was in 2006).  This is the only student loan I have now, and the payment is only $50/month.  The account is only reported more than once on my EQ.  Since most of the history is good, and it is my oldest account should I leave the 2 extra reportings alone or dispute them.  The correct account is the only one showing up-to-date activity.  The two other reportings show their most current status from 2001 and 2004.
Also, all of my CBRs show a charge off on an auto loan that I am going to dispute.  It was a total loss and it was paid in full by my insurance agency 2 years ago.  When I get this changed does anyone have any idea how many points it might raise my scores if any?
Thanks for your time.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
cadavis0609
Frequent Contributor

Re: Triple reporting student loan.

All I can tell you about the auto loan is that you should see a point increase but its difficult to speculate the total amount. As for the student loans, are they showing negatives on all three reportings? Are they showing a balance? If they're showing a balance, then its probably affecting your utilization which means you need to have them removed.
Sept 07 EQ 419

April 2012 EQ- 669 EXP- 680 TU-700= Proud New Homeowner!
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't dispute your auto loan. Disputing is a last resort. I'd wait for an expert to give some input before taking any action just yet.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The following is all of the information about the student loan on the CBR.  I believe my original lender was bought out at one point by another company and that may account for at least one of the extra reportings.

Legitimate account :

Status as of Aug, 2008

Date opened Feb, 1998

Date of last activity Aug, 2008

Date closed Not Reported

Account number XXXXXXX6481

Loan type Not Reported

Largest past balance $2,694

Terms Not Reported

Account Type Installment

Account holder Individual

Scheduled payment amount $50

Descriptions
  • Student loan

No contact information provided by Equifax

Balance    Current Status                Past Due Amount
$1,292      Pays account as agreed   Not Reported
Seven year payment history
30 days late 0 times
60 days late 3 times (Dec 2006, Jun 2006, Jan 2006)
90+ days late 0 times

double report (1) :

Status as of Jun, 2004 

Date opened Feb, 1998

Date of last activity Jul, 2003

Date closed Not Reported

Loan type Not Reported

Largest past balance $2,507

Terms Not Reported

Account Type Installment

Descriptions
  • Student loan - payment deferred

Balance   Current Status                   Past Due Amount
$2,398     Pays account as agreed      $0
30 days late 0 times
60 days late 1 time (Jun 2002)
90+ days late 0 times

double report (2) :

Status as of May, 2001

Date opened Feb, 1998

Date of last activity Jan, 2000

Date closed Not Reported

Loan type Not Reported

Largest past balance $2,221

Terms Not Reported

Account Type Installment

Descriptions
None on Record

Balance         Current Status                  Past Due Amount
Not Reported   Pays account as agreed    Not Reported
30 days late 0 times
60 days late 0 times
90+ days late 0 times
As for the auto loan, I have spoken to the OC, and they show the account paid in full, so why would I not dispute it showing a charge off?
Thanks
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you look at the dates for the lates that they've reported, it seems like it may not actually be a mistaken double reporting. I have severl SL on my CR and the account numbers are all virtually identical. However, they put a new entry onto my account every time they send a check to my school.

The second and third accounts listed probably should be left alone, since they are in good standing, and may help your history. You might want to try and send a GW letter to get them to drop you lates for you.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you ever had your student loans deferred? I had a student loan that was reported separately while it was in deferment. Once it came out the second account showed PIF $0 balance, 0 lates. It actually helps my score. That doesn't mean it's supposed to happen that way, of that Im not sure.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.