Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trust them or no?

tag
How2increase
Regular Contributor

Trust them or no?

I'm on my journey of credit rebuilding to apply for my first mortgage in a few months. After getting my game plan together, tmobile throws me a curve ball!
I cancelled my account with them and 1 month later they pass it on to a CA. Of course I get nervous and contact the CA to make sure they do NOT report anything to the credit bureaus.

I've been talking with a lady and she is nice and says that if I pay the balance in full they will not report anything to the bureaus. She said she will even send me a letter stating that nothing will be reported. BUT I know that most times you should not trust CA's as far as you can throw them. So Should I believe her? Or should I go through the DV and PFD process?

Thanks!! 😄
Jan 2012 TU 517 EX(fako) 524 EQ 470
Current score LENDER PULL TU 652 EX 641 EQ 617
Yayy we made it!!!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: Trust them or no?

Receive the letter first, and then you can pay them. Atleast that's what I would do.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Sure, it's always preferable to reduce agreements to writing.

But, in my opinion, that does not translate into playing hardball unless or until they do so.

PFD or agreements not to report are a form of GW on their part.  You take the chance by holding out that they will simply report.

PFD is not at option at this point, as there is no reporting to request deletion of.

DV, if timely, would produce a temporary block of credit reporting, but simple verification on there part could be followed by an immediate reporting.  And by sending a timely DV, the cease collection bar it imposes on them would shut off ALL negotiations until they provide debt verification.  If the debt is legit, and keeping it off your CR is the major goal, I dont see the benefit of a DV at this time.

If they are going as far as sending you a letter stating they wont report, that is more than a trust issue.  It is a written offer.

Any counter-offer you send might take their offer off the table.

I would jump on it.

Message 3 of 5
How2increase
Regular Contributor

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I wanted to just go ahead and get it out the way. Smiley Happy thanks guys
Jan 2012 TU 517 EX(fako) 524 EQ 470
Current score LENDER PULL TU 652 EX 641 EQ 617
Yayy we made it!!!
Message 4 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

In my experience and in fighting collections, the CA's I've worked with do give you that initial 30 days to pay before they report.  I think you will be okay.  Just ask repeatedly that they are SURE they set their system to be sure not to report it.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.