Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trusting CA

tag
emeterioy
Established Member

Trusting CA

Hey guys, last week I pulled my credit and it shows that I have a collection. I called tbe collection company and agreed to pay the collection as long as they remove it from my report, they said they could do it after I pay them. Should I trust them? I asked them for a letter saying that they'll erase bu they said no and that I have to pay them first.

I made a automatic payment to be taken out this friday for the whole amount but I dont know if I should cancel the transaction and demand a letter in writting first.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
foreverb
Valued Member

Re: Trusting CA

Welcome! If you provide the name of the CA it would probably be better for others to be able to give insight on their experiences with that CA. However I had two collections with a CA could only advise me verbally that one they were paid the collections would be removed..( I recorded the conversation on my end just incase but did not have to reference the recording) once I paid the collections were removed in 10 days.
Message 2 of 10
emeterioy
Established Member

Thanks and the collection is called PlusFour inc. Its based in las vegas nevada. I just don't wanna get the run around after I pay.
Message 3 of 10
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Hi. Welcome. I have heard of people before who sent a check in to pay a debt and when they signed the check they wrote on the a ctual check that it is conditional based on the CA deleting the debt from their credit report. Obviously there are people out there in the world who will say anything to get you to send money. It is hard to tell you based on the information provided whether the particular person/company you spoke with is honest or not. Maybe if you can provide the name of the CA, someone on here may have heard of them. I know it is a big hassle to cancel an electronic payment once you have schedualed it. You have taken the steps to pay off a debt which is a good thing. You are takin care of business. You are right to be concerned about  whether it will be deleted from your credit ports or not. Paying off a collection may have a small/ if any effect on your credit score. There is a huge value however to honoring your obligation and paying off the debt. Ita will help your self esteem and make ya feel good. If I were in your shoes at this point I would probably let the electronic payment go through and hope for the best. I would document the payment. By that I mean make sure you have a paper copy of the electronic transfer info. I would also write down the date and time and phone number you called and anything else you remember about the conversation that you had with them on the phone. By writing this info down you will have it in the future in case they don't delete the item, you want to have as much info as possible to make your case with. Whereas I don't know if it is legal for you to tape your phone conversations, calling back and getting a representative's credentials and trying to see if you can get them to repeat the verbal contract you have with them would be helpful. Then if they don't delete you can go back and say that you talked to this person on this day etc...

Message 4 of 10
emeterioy
Established Member

Also if for some reason they don't grant my wish can I do a dispute with my bank?
Message 5 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

While reading dddewdrop's answer above about writing on the check, that is called a conditional endorsement and in most places is not held accountable.  When you talked to the CSR, though, do what dew said.  (That kind of rhymed).

Write everything down.  You have a verbal agreement with them which is binding.  It's a little harder to prove sometimes, but still a legal binding agreement.  Also I have found that most of the creditors follow them.  They just don't want to put it in writing.  If it were me, I'd go ahead with it.  

Best of luck to you.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 10
emeterioy
Established Member

Thank you guys I will go ahead and hope for the best.
Message 7 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@emeterioy wrote:
Thank you guys I will go ahead and hope for the best.

Sometimes that is all you can do. 

Message 8 of 10
igids1
Regular Contributor

It has been my experience, that the CA who tell you they will delete after you pay, do in fact delete. If they will not delete, they will usually tell you straight out, that they are not going to delete.

Just my experience. I know its hard to put your faith blindly in them. 

I recommend that if they do not delete (and bear in mind it usually takes 30-45 days for the deletion), I would first call them back up and see whats going on. Depending on that conversation, I would then dispute, in writing, with the CRA. But I would make no mention of the pay for delete agreement.

Message 9 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If the account is accurate, there is no basis for a dispute with the CRA.

An oral agreement is just as binding as a written one. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.