cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying To Iron Out The Details and Use Any Tools I Can To Make The Most Of My Payoff....

tag
PayingTheBills
Frequent Contributor

Re: Trying To Iron Out The Details and Use Any Tools I Can To Make The Most Of My Payoff....

Also, I agree with the idea of using your credit card as a debit card.  I do this with my BofA WorldPoints Visa for the (meager) reward points, and I pay it twice a month.

I haven't used my debit card in months.

I put one item on my Cap1 MC a month and PIF, and I use my Target card every other month and PIF.

Starting Score: 540 EQ 517 TU on 11/17/08
Current Score: 668 EQ 726 TU
Goal Score: 760 EQ 760 TU

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 11 of 20
IKON

Re: Trying To Iron Out The Details and Use Any Tools I Can To Make The Most Of My Payoff....

"Something to keep in mind that you can still PIF AND let a small balance report by knowing your statement date. Usually your statment date is a week or so after your previous payment due date, so let a small balance report, and then PIF before they charge you interest a few weeks later"

im so confused haha... ok how can u make sure it shows a balance of ur cr. do cc usually post on cr before new statement comes out? been trying to figure it out maybe someone can clear this up for me

Message 12 of 20
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Most CC companies provide online access to your account where you can see recent purchases, amount due, available credit, etc.  Use the info there to your advantage.  

Basically you have your payment due date...  pay off say 95% of the balance.  That way you've paid on time.  Your statement is then typically issued about a week later (again with the online system, most companies will show you previous statements online, just look at the history to find out).  

After that statement date, issue another payment for the remaining 5% so now you've paid the full balance, and the CCC has reported a 5% balance to the CRAs.  

Message Edited by RadioRob on 07-18-2009 03:41 PM
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, lots of good info in here Smiley Happy Let me ask you all this. Since they already closed two of my accounts and I've just been paying them down would it hurt my credit to see if they would take less and consider the account paid off? Or would that fall into the charge off catagory and ding my credit? If I can get away with paying them less I will but only if it doesn't hurt my score Smiley Happy
Message Edited by Almost_Tactful on 07-18-2009 01:23 PM
Message 14 of 20
RadioRob
Established Contributor

You would need to be very careful with that as they can report it as Settled or Paid For Less Than Full, etc. 

If you are able to negociate a settlement for less, be sure you understand fully how it will be reported to the CRAs and that you get it in writing.  (If someone tells you something over the phone that sounds good....  being able to enforce that later will be next to impossible if the person making the deal does not have authority to do it or if they decide to change terms later.)

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I owe 1300 to one and 700 to the other, will it even be worth the hassel? It's not a whole lot of debt so I can't see them coming down and if they do is it worth the work to risk a Paid for Less on my report? What would you do if you were me?
Message 16 of 20
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Regarding your FICO score itself....  PIF vs settled does not make any difference.  If your goal is purely for score, you won't be helped by PIF vs getting them to settle for less.

Now...  when someone manually reviews your credit report (say for a loan), it will look better for a PIF vs a settlement.  The same is true when applying for a CC.  They can see if you have had baddies and if they were settled as well.  

So ultimately it depends on your goals...  remember this is going to stay on your CR for 7 years.  Personally if it were me, I would just pay the entire thing off and not deal with the settlement.  Considering the relatively small amount of debt, etc...  I would just pay it and have it off my conscience.  

Message 17 of 20
IKON

thank you for the clarifications...
Message 18 of 20
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

One thing I'd like to add... The day your cc statement is cut, is the day they send the report to the 3 CRA's.  So looking at your online statement...if it cuts on the 27th, make sure any payment you want to make will clear & POST before the 27th.

Look at it like this...due date means nothing (sort of)...POST date is the biggie.  If you pay before the post date...that is always before the due date.  (post date info is going to be exactly what they send you in the mail)  I guess I just try to get used to paying before they cut the statement.

OK...did that make sense??

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

It makes complete sense to me Smiley Happy just make sure I pay my stuff a week early lol
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.