Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Build Credit / Help Please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to Build Credit / Help Please

So I got a few CC's when I was 18. Was going find. I paid them all on time, never maxed them out.

Year later, lost my job. Couldn't pay.

7 years later my score is 560. I got approved for fingerhut freshstart program. Got 230 CL.

Got a secured card ($250).

Fingerhut rasied to $750. Still have secured card. Just got approved for $500.

Score is around 607. (CREDIT KARMA).

Still have some bad things on my credit report. Not sure if I should pay them or wait till they fall off. I need some tips.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Lemmus
Established Contributor

Re: Trying to Build Credit / Help Please

@Anonymous wrote:

7 years later my score is 560. 

Still have some bad things on my credit report. Not sure if I should pay them or wait till they fall off. I need some tips.

...if the DOFD on any debt on your CR is more than 7 years (except for public debts) it should automatically be removed by the CRAs ...doesn't mean that you don't still owe it or that it won't be reported later if you do any large credit tranactions in the future such as a mortgage.

...if the DOFD is less than 7 years but more than the SOL for such debts in your state, the CA can no longer take you to court over it ...which gives you more leverage in negotiating its payment including a better chance of a successful PFD ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm asking because PAID debt is better than non PAID debt. But i'm not sure if its worth it.

Two of them will be "removed" around March of 2016 and one will be around April of 2016.

I assume it would be better to PIF at once. Making payments will just re-open the debt and most likely drop my score?

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just started in the Freshstart program. Can you tell me did you pay the full 6 payments and then it convert to revolving or did you pay off early? I'll be making my 2nd payment this month and seeing mixed reviews on paying off on the 3rd or 4th payment. Just don't want to mess it up and have to start over.  

Congrats on your increases!

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid off a 90$ item in 2 months. Yes I could of paid off right after I bought it. But I wanted to show I could do monthly payments. They made my 230 limit to 250 (lol). Bought something else paid it off in couple months after and now have $750 on their normal program. I won't probably use it as I just got a walmart and amazon card. But it's open
Message 5 of 11
Lemmus
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm asking because PAID debt is better than non PAID debt. But i'm not sure if its worth it.

...yes and no ...afaik once a collection item hits your CRs FICO makes no differentation between paid/unpaid in calculating your score ...no that doesn't make sense to most of us but it is what it is Smiley Frustrated

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 6 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Two of them will be "removed" around March of 2016 and one will be around April of 2016.

I assume it would be better to PIF at once. Making payments will just re-open the debt and most likely drop my score?

It depends on the debt.   If you have COs that still show a balance due, you'd be better off paying those.   If you have collections, it's more important to have them removed than to show them as paid (hence the frequent recommendation for PFDs on here).  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sending two pfd's out today. One for each account. Hoping it works
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn't work. Oh well. I tried. Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try again - it often takes several tries using different contacts/methods before success is achieved.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.