cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Get Medical Collection(s) Removed

tag
kindatechie

Trying to Get Medical Collection(s) Removed

I applied for a credit card this year after I was rejected from the Discover Student Card a few years ago. As you can guess, I was rejected again this time. After looking at my Experian report, I saw that I had two open accounts in collection. I knew about one ($912), but I didn't know about the other ($217). Not knowing anything about credit and collection agencies, I stupidly paid both accounts off under the impression that they'd be removed. WRONG! 

The charge that I didn't know about came from my one-time visit to the emergency room at a local hospital. I have insurance, so as I was leaving the hospital, the receptionist told me that I was good. Fast forward, I look at my credit report and there is a charge from a collection agency on behalf of the hospital. I pay it off thinking it's going to be removed, but nope. 

I talked to someone at the hospital today and it appears that although my information was correct on all my items, they sent my medical bill and information to the wrong address, reported the wrong address to the credit bureau who reported the wrong information to the credit reporting agencies. For the record, I live in an apartment. Instead of sending it to 1234 Raspberry Lane #410, they sent it to 1234 Raspberry Lane #4. 

Is there any way I can use this as leverage? Can this be seen as a HIPAA violation? Does the hospital have the ability to request that the CA or CRA remove the information from my account? 

If these options are not viable, what options do I have to get the collection removed? Note: Both collections are PAID IN FULL. I'm moving to another city and I need good credit. I've gotten a secured card, but I'd really like these collections removed from my account as they are my only derogatory marks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to Get Medical Collection(s) Removed

Have you tried to send goodwill letters to ask them to remove it?

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 2 of 7
kindatechie

Thanks for the quick response!

I have not tried that option. Should I write a letter to the CA or CRA? If I write a letter to the collection agency, how should I obtain their contact information?

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The debt collector reporting is separate, and the OC cannot report its deletion or require the debt collector to do so.

However, you clearly have circumstances that might warrant a GW deletion.

The OC deals with the debt collector, and if they are willing to give a call to the debt collector and support your request, I would presume that would go a long way towards agreement by the dect collector to grant GW deletion.

I would give the OC a call and ask them to give their debt collector a quick call.

Message 4 of 7
kindatechie

So contacting the hospital is the thing to do? I will also try a goodwill letter.

Message 5 of 7
kindatechie

UPDATE: I was able to get the collection removed by contacting the original creditor. Smiley Happy One down, one to go!

Message 6 of 7
gtnitright
Regular Contributor

Congratulations!
Starting Score : EQ 635. TU 632 EX 635
Goal Score: 700. br >
.Nordstrom $800 Loft/$800 Cap 1/$3900 Amex BCE $9000br >
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.