Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Negotiate Judgment Settlement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to Negotiate Judgment Settlement

I am trying to negotiate a settlement on a default judgment that went against me in 2004. The attorney is Bridgers, Peters and Kleber in Atlanta. Their client is Silver Fox Financial. This was originally a Citi Bank Visa card. Their attorneys and I have reached an agreement on the amount but I am trying to get them to agree to file a letter of Nonsuit with the court so that I come out of this settlement with the best result on my credit report. So I sent this letter to the attorney.

Dear Mr. Rush, Your firm has had a default judgment against me since 2004. The case number is --------. Your client is Silver Fox Financial. I have called in and spoken to the paralegal that is handling my file. I was offered a settlement in the amount of $3,800.00. I am prepared to accept this settlement offer. I am writing to request that after my certified funds have arrived and this debt is paid in full, that your firm file with the -------- County Superior Court a letter of dismissal or nonsuit of this judgment.

If you agree to the above terms, I ask that you please prepare a letter on your company letterhead explicitly agreeing to the same terms as the above settlement offer of $3,800.00 and in return your firm agreeing to file the letter of nonsuit with the court. Please have it signed and dated by an authorized representative of the firm and please send it to the address listed above. When I receive this letter, I will immediately send you a bank check for $3,800.00. I thank you for your help and look forward to resolving this issue.

Below is the letter I received in return.

Dear Mr. --------- This will confirm that we will settle the above account in full in return for $3,800.00. Upon receipt of certified funds, we will forward the canceled judgment to the above said defendant to present to the Superior Court of -------- County.

Contact the underwriter if you have any questions.

From what I understand from reading on here, they are not agreeing to what I am asking. What they are saying they will send, will do nothing to make the judgment go away completely like a nonsuit letter will....correct??? I guess I‘m going to have to send him the legal definition of a nonsuit. Does anyone have any advice?? Thank you.
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to Negotiate Judgment Settlement

Personally, I would prepare a statement as to what EXACTLY you want them to do, and ask them to sign it and return it to you.

Essentially, reword your original letter as an agreement (rather than a request) and send it to them.
Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, I would prepare a statement as to what EXACTLY you want them to do, and ask them to sign it and return it to you.

Essentially, reword your original letter as an agreement (rather than a request) and send it to them.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

any follow up on this thread?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a vacatur of judgment in my county by sending a GW letter to the attorney who sued me. The judgment had long been paid, and they were very kind and sent me the documents to file in court to remove the judgment. It's important to keep in mind that if a paid judgment was procedurally correct, you have no other choice than to ask for the other party to vacate it.

If it's unpaid, I would not be shy about asking the other side to agree to vacate the judgment for payment in full.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got a vacatur of judgment in my county by sending a GW letter to the attorney who sued me. The judgment had long been paid, and they were very kind and sent me the documents to file in court to remove the judgment. It's important to keep in mind that if a paid judgment was procedurally correct, you have no other choice than to ask for the other party to vacate it.

If it's unpaid, I would not be shy about asking the other side to agree to vacate the judgment for payment in full.

Thank you for the response and Congratulations
Message 5 of 8
chrissy122g
Valued Member

How much was your original judgment for?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrissy122g wrote:
How much was your original judgment for?

Hopefully the OP will answer you. The last time the OP was on this forum was 8 years ago....

Message 7 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

To Donny's point, I would maybe try a general search of the threads here or online for related topics.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.