Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Rebuild after a long road

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to Rebuild after a long road

Don't laugh I have a credit score in the 500's and I need to improve these and trying to look for the best way to do so.

After a Divorce losing a job for almost 2 years and raising a child my credit took a beating!

I am looking to see the best ways to rebuild and get back on track and get my score to around a 720.  I know this is going to take time and a lot of work but I am sure it can be done!

Please let me know to the best way I can dispute items on my credit report as I have some out there that shouldn't be at all.

Thank you again for your time!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to Rebuild after a long road

Hi there! I'm not one of the more experienced responders but I would say if there are accounts on your report that you know are in fact not yours you can dispute the directly with the bureas, if the company can not provide proof the debt is yours within 30 days then just expect those to be removed. 

Now for the others that are valid and your collections you want contact the collection agency (I like to do this by email) offering a pay for delete. If they are small accounts I would pay them in full to delete. If they are large accounts offer a % for a deletion. If you can't get a PFD the first time, KEEP TRYING, even call them up. Never acknowledge the debt is yours, just simply say you want to settle for a delete. How old are the debts? By 7 years old they will fall off regardless if you paid or not, so that could possibly work in your favor. 

I think the worse thing to do is make payment arrangements, it affects your credit score in a bad way with each monthly update. You want to knock them at once. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Please let me know to the best way I can dispute items on my credit report as I have some out there that shouldn't be at all.

Thank you again for your time!

Here's an approach that worked for me:

- I contacted the CA listed on my report and asked the DOFD and name of the OC

- The CA responded they did not have my account in their system

- I disputed by US mail with Equifax and they removed it

Message 3 of 5
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

If they didn't have it in their system, then how were they able to report it to the credit bureau in the first place?
“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

They owned at one point and then sold it.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.