cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to clean up my credit report, hoping for some help/insight!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to clean up my credit report, hoping for some help/insight!

Hello everyone!

I'm 25 years old and graduated college in 2012 with $100,000 of student loan debt. Over the past year, I have been attacking my debt full force and trying my best to get my personal finances in order, as it's my life dream to own a home and I would like to do that within the next couple of years.

Back in October, my credit score was around 643, but with the help of a new credit card and paying off a few of my loans, it has jumped to the 710 it is currently at today. There are, however, a few marks on my report that I would really like to see gone to help improve my score. I'm hoping those here who have had experience with getting things removed from your reports could point me in the right direction - things like goodwill letters, validation letters, etc that I have heard about but don't really know where to start.

Since I have done a few things already, I'll explain the marks and what I have tried doing.

The marks on my report:

MISSED PAYMENTS

NELNET - [link to image in credit report]

The first missed payment was in 2013 from one of my student loan providers. From what I remember, since I graduated in 2012, this was when I started owing money on the loan after my grace period. Since my dad did all of my student loan stuff, I had no idea I had any bills owed and he thought I was paying them until he got a call saying I was about to default.

Obviously I paid the bill and continued to make all my payments on time for the rest of the loan. I paid off this loan in FULL in October of 2014 and actually tried a "pay-for-delete" with the representiive, but she said unless I was in the military or in school, it wasn't possible with student loans. I since then paid the balance and the account is closed, but the mark is still there. Is there a next step?

KHOLS - [link to image in credit report]

In 2013, I moved out for the first time and obviously didn't change my address everywhere. I got laid off from my job in October and purchased some new clothes for interviews I was going on at the start of 2014 (got my new, current job in March that year!) with my Kohls charge. I was dumb and didn't realize the bill was sent to my parent's address until the payment had already been missed.

A few months ago, I sent a goodwill email to the CEO of Kohls requesting removal of the mark, but they declined. Should I try via mail? Keep sending them? Request validation of the debt? What is my next step?

CHASE - [link to image in credit report]

Same story as Kohls, address change and I didn't realize until it was too late.

I just sent a goodwill letter to them via email last night and as of 5 minutes ago, got a call back from someone at Chase who would like to speak with me. Should I call back? What should I say?

REMARKS N ACCOUNT

Department of Education - [link to image in credit report]

I have no idea what this is. I currently have a student loan through the department of education that's $21,000, but with no missed payments or any issues. It says the account is closed and I don't see any issues with it, so how do I get it removed?

Should I send a debt validation letter?

Bank of America

Like the DOE one, I don't know why this is here. I had a BOA account in college since it was required, but recently tried getting it closed since I don't use it. I had like $5 left in the account and it took a million phone calls to finally get them to close the account - I have no idea why. It finally says closed and there are no negative things I can see

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, as you can see, most of the issues were the result of an address change and me not being diligent enough to keep track of what I owe. If there is any insight on what I can do to try and remove these things off my report in an attempt to repair it, I would be extremely grateful!

If you have any questions or need any additional info, feel free to ask! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Trying to clean up my credit report, hoping for some help/insight!

ttt

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure I understand what that means haha

Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone!

I'm 25 years old and graduated college in 2012 with $100,000 of student loan debt. Over the past year, I have been attacking my debt full force and trying my best to get my personal finances in order, as it's my life dream to own a home and I would like to do that within the next couple of years.

Back in October, my credit score was around 643, but with the help of a new credit card and paying off a few of my loans, it has jumped to the 710 it is currently at today. There are, however, a few marks on my report that I would really like to see gone to help improve my score. I'm hoping those here who have had experience with getting things removed from your reports could point me in the right direction - things like goodwill letters, validation letters, etc that I have heard about but don't really know where to start.

Since I have done a few things already, I'll explain the marks and what I have tried doing.

The marks on my report:

MISSED PAYMENTS

NELNET - [link to image in credit report]

The first missed payment was in 2013 from one of my student loan providers. From what I remember, since I graduated in 2012, this was when I started owing money on the loan after my grace period. Since my dad did all of my student loan stuff, I had no idea I had any bills owed and he thought I was paying them until he got a call saying I was about to default.

Obviously I paid the bill and continued to make all my payments on time for the rest of the loan. I paid off this loan in FULL in October of 2014 and actually tried a "pay-for-delete" with the representiive, but she said unless I was in the military or in school, it wasn't possible with student loans. I since then paid the balance and the account is closed, but the mark is still there. Is there a next step? GW Letter, send it to the CEOs office if at all possible. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

KHOLS - [link to image in credit report]

In 2013, I moved out for the first time and obviously didn't change my address everywhere. I got laid off from my job in October and purchased some new clothes for interviews I was going on at the start of 2014 (got my new, current job in March that year!) with my Kohls charge. I was dumb and didn't realize the bill was sent to my parent's address until the payment had already been missed.

A few months ago, I sent a goodwill email to the CEO of Kohls requesting removal of the mark, but they declined. Should I try via mail? Keep sending them? Request validation of the debt? What is my next step? DV (debt validation) is only sent to CAs & JDBs never an OC. Continue send GW letter at one a month to the CEOs office, I would state you didnt receive the statement in time to pay the bill since you had moved. I always recommend professional letters sent thru the mail, email is not a personal form of communication IMO.

CHASE - [link to image in credit report]

Same story as Kohls, address change and I didn't realize until it was too late.

I just sent a goodwill letter to them via email last night and as of 5 minutes ago, got a call back from someone at Chase who would like to speak with me. Should I call back? What should I say?  Do same as Kohls

REMARKS N ACCOUNT

Department of Education - [link to image in credit report]

I have no idea what this is. I currently have a student loan through the department of education that's $21,000, but with no missed payments or any issues. It says the account is closed and I don't see any issues with it, so how do I get it removed? If its closed with no derogs attached to it, just leave it alone, it will stay around for up to 10 years post close and it is helping your AAoA.

Should I send a debt validation letter?  Again DV only goes to CAs & JDBS

Bank of America

Like the DOE one, I don't know why this is here. I had a BOA account in college since it was required, but recently tried getting it closed since I don't use it. I had like $5 left in the account and it took a million phone calls to finally get them to close the account - I have no idea why. It finally says closed and there are no negative things I can see Leave it alone just like the DOE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, as you can see, most of the issues were the result of an address change and me not being diligent enough to keep track of what I owe. If there is any insight on what I can do to try and remove these things off my report in an attempt to repair it, I would be extremely grateful!

If you have any questions or need any additional info, feel free to ask! Smiley Happy

TTT is to the top, I was bumping the thread to the top of the list for you, I had to take off for awhile and could not answer this one immediately.  Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh! Well thank you and thanks for answering my questions! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know the correct contact information for Khols, Chase, and Nelnet?

Message 6 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone know the correct contact information for Khols, Chase, and Nelnet?

What I do is Google for the Headquarters address and send it to the CEO.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

On it! Thank you Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.