Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to figure out first step: LVNV

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Trying to figure out first step: LVNV

Per the FDCPA it's adequate. If you agree with the debt, send a PFD. If you still disagree, then write back addressing the info you'd like to see.

Message 11 of 15
Williamsjk2
Valued Member

A PFD it is then.

You know, so far LVNV hasn't been too bad...they DV'd quickly.  I just hope they are ameanable to a PFD (which I haven't seen too many good things about).

Starting Score: EQ 540 w/ 15 baddies
Current Score: EQ 648 TU 668 w/ 1 baddie
Goal Score: EQ 800 TU 800 w/ 0 baddies

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Well on my way to the 700 club!!!
Message 12 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It's slim pickings on PFDs, though I've read of quite a few GW success stories. I personally would send PFDs if I agreed with them.

Message 13 of 15
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Williamsjk2 wrote:

So I got a letter back from LVNV.  This all it said: 

"LVNV Funding LLC currently owns account number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.  The account was originated by Capital One and recently acquired from Capital One.  At that time, the balance was $606.98.  As of the date of this communication, the account balance is $1,050.30.  Because interest, payments, credits, fees and/or other permissible charges can continue to cause the account balance to vary from day to day, you should contact us at 1-866-464-1187 to determine the exact balance."

Just as an FYI, the DV letter that I had originally sent was:

"I pulled my credit bureau report, and I discovered that you claim I owe you a debt. Under FDCPA 809, send me validation of this debt."

From my understanding of Debt Validation, this is not adequate.  Am I correct?  Please chime in and let me know what you think.

This is the standard response from LVNV including the ambiguous "interest, fees and other charges", however they never define these extra charges and even if they did there would have to be a basis in law such as the original lenders' terms, etc. If the case went to court most of these extra costs would be tossed out (think how accurate undefined "fees" are). Its a long hard process to go through now and would require suing LVNV to prove their claim. Since your account is OOS (past SOL) your goal is to settle not to fight LVNV I would think. Keep in mind the highly inflated value of their claim when you go to settle this debt through PFD and adjust your offer accordingly.

If it were mine, I'd ignore the inflated claim and offer 40-50% of the original amount which is still giving the CA a lot more than what they paid for the debt.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would PFD after getting that DV letter.  I actually just mailed/e-mailed them a PFD yesterday and the OC was Capital One as well.  I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.