cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to figure out what my next step should be

tag
SODEVINE229

Trying to figure out what my next step should be

Hello all!  Im trying to figure out what my next step should be in repairing my credit

About 6 years ago I went through a short sale and a divorce with a costody battle. During the the last 6 years I have been very sloppy with my credit. This year I decided it was time to figure it out and get squared so my son and I can get into a house. I started in Feb and joined karma I was about 450 there on there so I went to work and payed off all my collections, most medical that got removed from my report but I do have one from midland that still shows up from a charge off. I got a capital one card and have made every payment on time I have a car payment that has 4- 60 day lates and 4-30 day lates from last year and the year before but have been good on it since Feb. I have    3 charge offs 2 from 2014 and one from apr 2016. a couple months ago I got a fingerhut card and am paying everything on time. I keep my utiliation below 30 percent.

My current fico scores are 608 fax 590 tu and 594 exp. My mortgage numbers are better than  fico8 score with a middle score at 624 but would like to get them higher.

Just wondering if I should try and get another card or is cap one and fingerhut enough along with my car loan and just wait it out?   I realize I screwed up and fixing my score wont happen overnight but trying to change and do the right things from here on out. Hoping to get into a house next summer if possible.

Any adice would be helpful

Thank you 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to figure out what my next step should be

1) You gotta be very, very serious about budgeting and payment management and with those late payments within the 'few' months doesn't bode well.

I say 'few' because, as we know life is life and things happen and as adults, we've got to be able to string together 20-30-40 months of paying w/o constant 'issues' if not we haven't mastered being the GROWN UP in the house...not being a jack as but one must prepare for rainy days 60 day lates indicate, overbuying or overspending and 'hoping' vs BEING the Captain America of one's own ship

2) That being said ideally you want 3 revolvers and the 1 installer
So the car loan gives us the install TL
The Cap-1 and Finger-hut give us 2 revolvers

Before, we discuss the 3rd... let's talk about the PURPOSE of "rebuilder" CC's
They are for 'show' NOT for 'real' usage
Buy the gas or groceries you were going to anyway with the Cap-1 card NOTHING else

No offense to Finger-hut but c'mon it's equivalent to a cheap motel, you're here because you have no choice, be involved as LEAST you can, until you can do BETTER.... Don't start getting comfortable here.
If you bought ONE item fine, we're done

Our goal is to build 'paid as agreed' months over time ( that happens whether or not you USE the card for purchases or not) yes they will 'encourage' purchase but let's be flat out honest that TL is there for 'show' nothing more...yes you are 'using' Finger-hut like a side-piece with no future, treat her like that don't get attached...is what it is

3) Ideally, we want to add CC #3
Could our utilization rate on the ONE TL with a balance be improved enough for us to be approved by a 'pretty' CC that we'd want to date long-term...if not can we get there in short order?

What am I talking about...can we have the FH at 0% usage and the Cap-1 at less than 10% which could pop our score up dramatically enough to better qualify because credit scoring is RISK scoring

Our goal at this point is stoking the risk model to see what it's comfortable with

A) On-time payment history 35% &
B) Debt Ratio/CL utilization 30%

30% Debt utilization is NOT a destination, it is a max, prior to subtraction...kinda like here is the baseline for a 'C' not an ''HATER
Rebuilders, IMO should not be shooting for C's that's prepping for average when we're using 'toy cards' with training wheels...let's maintain 'A' levels

One TL only with a balance between 2-9% with all other TL's showing 0%

This demonstrates superior credit management and the low usage of available CL demonstrates low RISK to the scoring model which in turn means a higher score which once one gets one can use to secure better TLs with better terms

Gotta play the game manipulate to model to get scores to get better TLs all the while adding data to the profile that will dividends for 10 years even after you close the Finger-huts of the world

* Even if #3 is a Secured CC don't fret
Opening a solid account with Discover or a decent CU IMO is a much better long term option than some low tier product
Discover/ CU may be in your wallet till death
Those type of partners do loans, have IRAs, checking accounts, so many reasons to choose as wisely as possible.

Best of luck
Ask any questions
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.