Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get back Capital One and Chase After a successful BK-13

tag
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

Trying to get back Capital One and Chase After a successful BK-13

Hello All,

I filed a BK-13 in 2012, 52,000 in debt. I had 2 chase cards and numerous cap one cards, plus probably 15 others. Anyway, my BK-13 was discharged last year and I pay 100% of all debt back to my creditors, so i owe them nothing. Target was wonderful and gave me my credit card with more credit than before 1100 , I also got a discover card CL 1000, and a NFCU 10,000, i have a car loan obtain last november and I have been perfect on all my payments. I app'd for a chase and cap one a few times and they shot me down like i was a korean rocket. Is anything i can do, they said because i filed bk, but its discharged and they were paid back with all interest! Cant they forgive me!!!

Any words of wisdom? 

Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Navy Fed MasterCard $3,500
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to get back Capital One and Chase After a successful BK-13

Each lender has their own policies. Some are BK-friendly, some are not. Chase and Cap-1 are obvioulsly not. Move on and app others. Do some research into who is BK friendly and who is not before you app.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one is very BK friendly in general. It may not apply if you went BK on a card of theirs, but if you filed/discharges a bankruptcy without them you often times can get a card a couple months after likely has to be a secured card to start.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Hello All,

I filed a BK-13 in 2012, 52,000 in debt. I had 2 chase cards and numerous cap one cards, plus probably 15 others. Anyway, my BK-13 was discharged last year and I pay 100% of all debt back to my creditors, so i owe them nothing. Target was wonderful and gave me my credit card with more credit than before 1100 , I also got a discover card CL 1000, and a NFCU 10,000, i have a car loan obtain last november and I have been perfect on all my payments. I app'd for a chase and cap one a few times and they shot me down like i was a korean rocket. Is anything i can do, they said because i filed bk, but its discharged and they were paid back with all interest! Cant they forgive me!!!

Any words of wisdom? 

Capital One will usually let you back in one year after your discharge Chase on the other hand could take ten years or longer to forgive.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi is BK friendly with their Secured Card as long as the BK is at least 2 years old. The application process takes a while (2 weeks or so) but if you do them right, the offers will flood. Chase is extremely tough IMO nd I’m not sure about Cap1.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One is BK friendly even if they were included in your BK after a period of time. I can attest to that. You may have to wait a year or so.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iwantbettercredit

I also filed a BK13 in Feb 2014. I only have 8 months remaining on

my 60 month repayment plan. After my discharge, I'll be following

your example and repaying my creditors 100 cents on the dollar.

So here are my "words of wisdom:" When we borrow money in good faith,

we are obligated to repay it in good faith. That's the reward. Nothing more,

nothing less. So if your BK creditors decide to do business with you after you've

made them whole, then consider it a bonus. But like others on this thread

have already pointed out, it's probably best to move on.

That's what I'm doing. For example, I drool all over the GARGANTUAN starting limits

and credit limit increases that Navy Fed hands out. But I burned them for 13k in my

BK 13. Once I repay them after my discharge, I'll have the satisfaction of knowing

that I paid them back. But I could care less if they ever extend credit to me again.

That's why I'll be moving on to establish a new relationship with Pen Fed, and I'll be

renewing a 10 year relationship I have with USAA. The important thing is that we learn

our lessons, and we act like we've learned them by using credit responsibly going forward.

Hope this helps. Please forgive me if this comes across as condescending.

That's not my intention. But my advice to you is don't cry over spilled milk.

Now that you've repaid your creditors, don't waste your valuable time and energy

worrying about things you can't control. It sounds like you're back on track,

so just take it one day at a time. Congrats on your recovery and your progress!

Message 7 of 9
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Cap One will let you back in even if you BK's on them. 

Chase now that's a whole different ballgame, they Blacklist and have a memoery like an elephant LOL. I know others have eventually gotten back in but it takes a long time. I bk'd on them 13 years ago still can't get a card with them.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate to say this but Chase seems to be the worst if you filed for a BK.  I have tried to get a card with them but they always return with BK on report.  From what I gather you need to wait until the BK is removed which will be 7 years after your file date (in my case 3/19).  Once it is removed I am going to try again with them.  Though I have heard some places have an "internal" report that it might stay on regardless of what your credit report says.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.