Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get back

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to get back

Hello old friends,

A year back the guidance of this forum and its members helped me obtain my first home. It was a great time and I thank you all.

It's been a year so far and I have to say, the bills are piling up (unexpectedly of course). Me and wife had a great plan and things were working great and then life decided to throw a wrench in the plan. She lost her job three months ago (sigh). This one event threw everything into chaos. I'm literally trying to pay for everything and it's not possible.

My wife has been applying to jobs like crazy and no bites as of yet but we are staying positive. Me on the other hand? I've been looking for a part time job to catch up to no avail.

So I'm back to the place that gave me guidance to hopefully get me back on track to great credit and even better money skills.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to get back

@Anonymous.

I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this situation.  Hopefully, your wife will find a job soon.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get some positive news on that front. 

Message 2 of 6
tufa4311
Established Contributor

This is tough, keep at it.

Advice would be to create a budget right now, tonight. You do not have enough money to pay for all the expenses you have and like many people you probably don't even know what all those expenses are. List every dollar that goes out the door on a montly basis and then make a determination of how much that expenses is needed. Can you do without it? If you can then cut it. Ensure that you come at this with a realistic pov - remember, the important part is the mortgage and property taxes. People have cable (you don't need it), wifi (go to the library) or ask to share your neighboors, multiple cars/car insurance/fuel/maintenance (do you need all the cars you have? I've taken public transportation before and saved thousands a month while not paying the car loan/insurance/gas/etc), eating out for lunch/dinner (I spend average $10/day for lunch at work - that's $200/month), and I'm sure there's more. 

For any bills that you have stopped service for, like cable, but can't afford the pay off the bill at one time, call them and share your story - tell them how much you can pay per month - you will find many companies are willing to work with you if they feel you are sincere. Attempt the same with credit cards if needed. Do what you can to keep those accounts up to date with at least the minimums.

None of this is crazy - as a teen with my mom I've been there - we cut everything we didn't need, everything, until she found a better job. Do your best to continue paying your debts, obv mortgage and taxes, but even with credit cards pay the minimum at least if possible - this will stop the credit issues everyone comes on here for in the future.

It's going to be tough but you have money going out the window right now for things that you do not need. It can be rough without some of the things, esp a car, but millions take public transportation in the US daily.

Remember, this will be short term, when your wife gets a job you will slowly climb back and get all those things you gave up (or maybe you'll realize you didn't need them and put the extra money into a savings/401k account!).

Get started now.

Good luck and keep us updated.

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 3 of 6
LindysMom
Regular Contributor

I echo everything else the prior poster said.  It is NOT the end of the world.  It will be tough, but it will also teach you some things.  You may need to get a part-time job, and your wife may need to get a part time job as well - maintain SOME income while she gets to that next full-time job.

Food-clothes-shelter are the necessities right now.  List those expenses and see if there is a shortfall somewhere.  Then go to car & credit cards.  

You will get back on your feet.  It wont be easy, and boy does it SUCK (been there twice, but I am single & didn't have any backup) ... but coming out of it is great & the only thing that got me through was the thought "This is NOT my permenant situtation".

My FICO Scores:
9/17: EQ - 542 / TU - 535 / EX - 506 // Mortgage: 553, 545, 486
10/ 17: EQ - 558 / TU - 563 / EX - 586 // Mortgage: 554, 568, 536
11/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 589 / EX - 614 // Mortgage: 606, 606, 572
12/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 624 / EX - 619 // Mortgage: 584, 612, 671

9/18: EQ - 676 / TU - 676 / EX - 643 // Mortgage: 652, 628, 606

Journey Milestones: Completed Federal Student Loan Rehab in Sept 2017. Settled First Premier Bank CC in August 2017. Constant uphill battle with Navient incorrect reporting on seven (7!) private student loans. No TLs listed in delinquency. Obsessively keeping 2 CC UTI @ 7-9% monthly.

End Goal: Pre-Approval for FHA Spring/Summer 2018 (COMPLETED)
New End Goal: 700+ Spring 2019
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep your head up. Best of luck for you!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tufa4311 shared some great advice. I too have been there, getting laid off as a sole provider with 4 kids. No fun. In your situation, it really does come down to cutting as many expenses as you can as quickly as possible. You could try a gofundme campaign as a supplement/stopgap to slow the bleeding. If your wow hasn't applied for unemployment she should do that immediately as there is a qualification waiting period while they check her out and if she waits too long after getting laid off some states disqualify applicants. Good luck.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.