cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get husbands credit score up to qualify for USDA Loan.

tag
Melissalyn17
New Contributor

Trying to get husbands credit score up to qualify for USDA Loan.

I have been reading through as much information as I possibly can to try to get my husbands score up. I came people adding their spouses and AU's. My credit score is higher than his, and I have two cards that I have had for almost two years (two years in August) and have no late payments, but they have low credit limits ($650, $320). Part of my husbands issue on his credit is late payments. I just paid both of my cards down to $10 on each (which should update on my credit report by the end of this month). SO my questions are, should I add my husband? If so should I wait until my credit report updates to show the low balances on the card? Would it help him at all? Could it hurt my score?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Trying to get husbands credit score up to qualify for USDA Loan.

One of your cards should be at 0, the other at 10.

It won't hurt your score, and it might help his, but the lenders will notice the piggyback.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 3
Melissalyn17
New Contributor

Re: Trying to get husbands credit score up to qualify for USDA Loan.

@FrugalRican wrote:

One of your cards should be at 0, the other at 10.

It won't hurt your score, and it might help his, but the lenders will notice the piggyback.

Will it hurt us having it like that when the lender or underwriter sees it? I don't want to do anything that will hurt our chances of getting the loan.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.