cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get my credit back in order - Feedback is welcome!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to get my credit back in order - Feedback is welcome!

@DigitalDybbuk wrote:

Here is my question: I have very low limits on my cards, so I decided to get a Bank of America SecureCard, and I will deposit $1000

Why did you want to get a secured card if you already have other unsecured cards?  There is no score boost to having more available credit in dollars.  The only thing that is considered is your utilization %.  Take that money and pay down any balances you have instead.  Leave just one card reporting a balance of 5-9% to maximize your score.  Otherwise, just let these accounts age until you can apply for a good card you want.  Opening a new secured card will just lower your AAoA, get you a new inquiry, and get you "new credit".  All these things will lower your score.

Message 11 of 16
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Sorry I fell asleep early last nite idnt mean to post and leave you hangingSmiley Embarassed

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 12 of 16
DigitalDybbuk

Im confused... FAKO? why would experian report to me FAKO and not FICO? that doesnt make any sense...

Starting Score: TU:649 EQ:675 EX:686
Current Score: TU:649 EQ:675 EX:686
Goal Score: TU:720 EQ:720 EX:720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 16
annielorie
Valued Contributor

The good will letter is to whoever you had a debt with or a late payment that is reported.  If they are paid in full you can ask either cc company or collection agency to delete it off your credit file.  Just be really nice and explain why you were late or didnt pay a debt and that it is paid.  If you have anything on your credit report that is not paid send letter for deletion. Commonly referred to as pay for delete.  Make sure you get that in writing BEFORE you pay. If you have any other questions pm meSmiley Happy

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DigitalDybbuk wrote:

Im confused... FAKO? why would experian report to me FAKO and not FICO? that doesnt make any sense...

Very simple explanation for this: money.  To provide you with a FICO score, Experian (or whoever) would have to pay FICO to use the forumla.  Instead Experian can charge you for a score they made up that is free to them.  They still charge you money, but they pay no money, so they make even more money.  The vast majority of places you can get a credit score will not provide you with a FICO score.  All of these other scores are pretty much worthless.  In fact, you are unable to get your Experian FICO anywhere.  A couple years back, Experian decided to stop providing this option because they wanted to push their own FAKO instead.

Message 15 of 16
annielorie
Valued Contributor

The credit union in PA is the only place to get an experian fico  or when you actually inquire for credit.  Hey jimbo thanks for picking up this slacker last nite!!  Too much wine and very stressful daySmiley LOL

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.