Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to help my mom...judgment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to help my mom...judgment

My mom and dad had a vehicle that was repossessed...My dad passed away earlier this year...My mom was sued - due the loss of my dad, wasn't paying attention to her mail....was sued  and now has a judgment for the vehicle in excess of $12000....the judge just signed off on 8/13/08...

Is there anything we can do to negotiate this at this point??

Do we deal with the courts or the creditor at this point?

This is the state of Florida btw....
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Trying to help my mom...judgment

can you contact the car company and talk to them about it- possibly arrange a repayment plan? explain what happened with your dad and see if they will work with you. (I'm so sorry for your lss, by the way)
I had a judgemnt on y report for overdue rent- and it was finally deleted. so there is hope, dont worry. just be patient, be persistent, and this too shall pass.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all, I am so sorry for your loss!! My heart and thoughts are with you and your mom!! Smiley Sad

Second of all, is there ANY chance that your parents had "survivor insurance" rolled into the loan? I don't think I have the name of the insurance correct, BTW, so don't ask about it using that term exactly.

In essence, its insurance that relieves the surviving spouse of paying the balance of the loan in the event of one of the account/loan holder's death. We've had that on the past three car loans we've had ... and I am fair sure it's rather common.

How that would be affected by repossession and how much time has passed SONCE the repo, I don't know. I'll Google this evening and see what I can see -- unless someone else chimes in sooner with more info as to whether or not its a mitigating factor.

Again, my heart goes out to you and your dear mom!! Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to all for the condolences....

The loan was only in my mom's name...not my dads' so no survivor loss program......

I'm thinking based on what I'm learning here....maybe we can negotiate with the creditor and then vacate the judgment? is that right?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.