cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to raise my credit score. In Collections. PTD or Payoff?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to raise my credit score. In Collections. PTD or Payoff?

Hello,

Posting this in hopes someone might be able to clear this up for me or provide a better answer. I have been researching postings and forums all over for the past couple of weeks about fixing my credit.

A brief summary of my situation. I am 30 years old with a total amount of about $5,000 in debt. All in collection status. My current Fico score being 589. I recently got approved for a Capital One credit card with a limit of $200 which I have only been spending about $25 a month on. Which has helped my credit score but not much.

I have enough saved money to pay off most of what is in collections. But I have read that just paying off what is in collections won't really raise my credit score and that I should try for PTD. Which I have also read that my chances are slim that the CA will accept doing that. So my question being is what is the best thing to do to raise my credit. Is just paying the debts the best option? When would I see an increase in my credit score? Also I have read about letting debts just stay there for the seven years and they will drop off but that doesn't seem like a good idea for me considering most are only from about 3 to 4 years ago.

If anyone has some tips that would be greatly appreciated .

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Trying to raise my credit score. In Collections. PTD or Payoff?

You actually need at minimum 3 open credit cards to drive your Fico. As far as the old debt any updating monthly should be settled as they keep your Fico score depressed. You always want to try the PFD with a CA they are much tougher to get with an OC. Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply. 

One question though. How do I know if they are updating monthly to my credit report?

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the reply. 

One question though. How do I know if they are updating monthly to my credit report?

Look for the date last updated. Could also be shown as date of status.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.