Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to rebuild..But

tag
aquatic1
Established Contributor

Trying to rebuild..But

So I have been trying to rebuild my credit and I am fully aware that most people on this forum advocate for rebuilding credit before you start getting additional credit.  The problem is that on my EQ scorewatch it basically stating that I have NOTHING that is offsetting the negative.  I have no credit cards, store cards or anything that will help my scores move up faster.  My car payment has many 30 days and 2 60 days but nothing late for the last year other than a incorrect 30 for 8/08 that I am fighting. 

I attempted a BofA card and that was denied (I guess I really am blacklisted even for a secured account) and the two CU's that I belong to do not offer secured cards.  I really have no one to ask to be a AU.  I was originally approved for a crown jewel account for $2500 but never opened it.  Should I just go ahead  and reapply for the CJ at least to have something on my report that is helping?  Any other suggestions other than cards like orchard or FP?

Starting Score: EX:603
Current Score: EX:603 (10/16/19)
Goal Score: EX:740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
203bravo
Established Contributor

Re: Trying to rebuild..But

If you have NO open credit lines, then it's not a bad idea to work on both at the same time.. this would allow both the good and bad to age at the same time.  The biggest problem is that usually the subprime credit products usually have very high fees, annual, monthly, etc.. and the money is better used by getting rid of the current debt.  don't be concerned about the interest they charge as you should never carry a balance.. get the timing right and PIF just after they report and make sure you are less than 10% of the limit.

You may try the who-gave-me-credit website to find what cards are being given to people in your score range, state, income level, profile, etc.

Best of luck.

Message 2 of 3
aquatic1
Established Contributor

Re: Trying to rebuild.But

@203bravo wrote:

If you have NO open credit lines, then it's not a bad idea to work on both at the same time.. This would allow both the good and bad to age at the same time.  The biggest problem is that usually the subprime credit products usually have very high fees, annual, monthly, etc.. and the money is better used by getting rid of the current debt.  don't be concerned about the interest they charge as you should never carry a balance.. get the timing right and PIF just after they report and make sure you are less than 10% of the limit.

You may try the who-gave-me-credit website to find what cards are being given to people in your score range, state, income level, profile, etc.

Best of luck.

thank you.  I am hoping that in the next couple of weeks a few medical collections will be deleted which hopefully will boost my scores and then I will see what happens.  The problem is that I believe that EX is still my highest score but since we are unable to get the scores, I am not 100% sure now.  I will check whogavemecredit.com and will also check the credit card forum even though is depresses me since it seems as though all of the people on there are well over 600 or even over 800 FICO!  I could just kick myself for not at least paying the minimum payments for the cards I did have....

Starting Score: EX:603
Current Score: EX:603 (10/16/19)
Goal Score: EX:740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.