Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to rebuild but continue to fail :(

tag
glamchick
Established Contributor

Trying to rebuild but continue to fail :(

So I finally have decent scores  EQ 684 EX 674 TU 740 but they are about to deduct 100 points Im sure Smiley Sad

I called to make a payment on my car loan only to find out they did not receive last months payment.  They said I am 30 days late today and they report 30 days or more when late.  I made 2 payments today but I dont think that will help.   Im just so upset, my payment was lost in the mail I guess.  And they never called or emailed me to warn me.

I have been looking at cars/loans for 2 weeks and trying to get better credit cards.   It tooks me 1 year to get to this score and everytime something always happens.

Before i lose my some what of a decent credit score should I apply for a car loan or credit cards first?  Or can I do both at the same time?  I think I have a few weeks before they report my 30 day late.

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to rebuild but continue to fail :(

I would be writting, and calling the highest person you can reach in terms of getting this situation corrected.  Do not give up.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hate hearing this, but like the poster above said, dont give up hope and push the issue. 

Message 3 of 16
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@glamchick wrote:

So I finally have decent scores  EQ 684 EX 674 TU 740 but they are about to deduct 100 points Im sure Smiley Sad

I called to make a payment on my car loan only to find out they did not receive last months payment.  They said I am 30 days late today and they report 30 days or more when late.  I made 2 payments today but I dont think that will help.   Im just so upset, my payment was lost in the mail I guess.  And they never called or emailed me to warn me.

I have been looking at cars/loans for 2 weeks and trying to get better credit cards.   It tooks me 1 year to get to this score and everytime something always happens.

Before i lose my some what of a decent credit score should I apply for a car loan or credit cards first?  Or can I do both at the same time?  I think I have a few weeks before they report my 30 day late.

Start good willing.  Any DECENT cards you get (discover, Amex, chase) will advers action when a recent late shows up, including closing the card.  Research the car company to remove the late, they may want a years worth of payments.  Do not refinance, they will have no incentive to remove late.  

But start the letter writing now.  Explain you did not know it was lost in mail.  Hopefully you have had loan for awhile.  Bring up medical emergenc (even if do not have one) in future, pull at heart strings.  Rebuilding credit scores is not good enough reason.  Let us know whom the lender is.

Signature needs updating
Message 4 of 16
glamchick
Established Contributor

Its PNC Bank and the customer service is very rude.  I just hate dealing with them and I was so glad I was going to get away from them soon but I guess not.

I've had the car loan for 4 years and never been late.  This is my first late with them.  This month April 2016 would make me clear of any lates for the past 2 years and then this happens.

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 5 of 16
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

I'd definitely ask to speak to someone higher up, plead your case, lay the honey on thick, and be apologetic.

If you've had four years of good payment history, they may very likely be willing to overlook a mistake. 

At the risk of sounding overbearing, I'd also suggest looking at Quicken, Mint, or YNAB -- some system that allows you to track payments easily, so something like this can't happen.  I spend five minutes a day (when I'm not obsessing over my financial situation, so on a normal day) reconciling accounts, making sure payments have cleared, and reviewing my credit card balances so this doesn't happen.

March 2014: Abysmal, low 500s

April 2015: TU 607 | EQ 599 | EX 608
March 2019: TU 717 | EQ 727 | EX 727
Message 6 of 16
glamchick
Established Contributor

Thank you for the tip... yes I try to be obsessive over all my bills/payments.  I guess this one just got me ;(    And I usually call in my payment but I decided to mail since the payment would be early.

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 7 of 16
tufa4311
Established Contributor

@glamchick wrote:

Thank you for the tip... yes I try to be obsessive over all my bills/payments.  I guess this one just got me ;(    And I usually call in my payment but I decided to mail since the payment would be early.

Please don't use snail mail for important things such as this - there really is no need to in these times. Try to make all your payments electronically. Either link your account from your bank and make an electronic payments or go to the biller and see if you can link them to your account.

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 8 of 16
glamchick
Established Contributor

yes I learn something new everyday.  The only positive thing that came out of this is that I applied for credit cards before the 30 day ding hits.

I got approval on 3 credit cards!!   Off to apply for a car loan tomorrow.

I left a message for the manager to see if there is anything he can do to stop the 30 day marking.  Will see what he says.

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 9 of 16
JustinA
Frequent Contributor

If you paid it off in the next 30 days would it still report? Just curious

Starting TU: 536
Starting EQ: 573
Goal: 640

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.