Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to rebuild.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to rebuild.

I recently changed job fields with a significant pay raise, so now I am trying to rebuild as soon as I can to be able to purchase my first home.

My scores are: EXP - 536 TU - 539 EQ - 524

I've spoken with a lender that would grant me a Mortgage loan if I were able to get my score in the 580 range.

The first hit on my CR would be with my current vehicle loan. During my search for new employment I got behind on my payments. 8 out of the 12 months this year I was hit with a 30 day late. I have now been current a month. Is there anything I can do to get these off?

Next my old car loan had 5 30 days late on it and a LOC from NFCU has 3 30 days late. They are paid in full. Is there anything I can do to get these off?

Lastly, I have 13 accounts in collections. 4 of them are a single student loan, 2 Sallie Mae(SLM Financial) and 2 USA Funds. This is also paid in full.

5 accounts are less than $100 so I plan to pay these off unless I am advised against it....

None are over $500 so these will slowly come off the board also unless I am advised against it.

I have 1 secure Cap 1 card with a $200 limit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to rebuild.

For the late payments and what's been paid in full, you can try sending a good will (GW) letter to see if they'll report them as being on time, or just removing the collections entirely. Short of that, the biggest factor is time; distance from the negatives and a longer history of positives.
Message 2 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Manny, how much is your current car payment?

Do you need a new vehicle or just want one?

I ask that because installment loans don't help you with the purchase of a home. It is one of the biggest reasons people have a difficult time qualifying for a home loan - the new car payment is too large for their income (I see it all the time as a Realtor).

You would be better off concentrating on paying your current vehicle loan on time until it is paid off and then adding revolving accounts to increase your score. Remember to keep the revolving balances at zero except for one that is less than 10% of the credit line to maximize your score.

Have you checked into rehabbing your student loans? That will help you too.

As the other poster said, time is the best thing to heal your credit to get away from the late payments. Work on your savings so you aren't late anymore. You need to have a minimum of 12 months of ontime payments with NO late payments in order to obtain a mortgage.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My current car payment is $479.

I guess I should have specified what type of loan I was trying to secure. I don't need a vehicle loan. The loan I am trying to get is a mortgage loan and not a new vehicle loan. 

My student loans are paid off but they are still on my collections, 2 Sallie Mae(SLM) and 2 USA Funds.

Message 4 of 7
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Only thing you can do with Late Payments is constantly send GW (Good Will Letters) to the right person/people. Sometimes banks that specialize in car loans/credit cards know life happens and may remove those with a reasonable, well-explained excuse.

Failing that, the only thing that will heal late payments is time, creating distance from your payment issues.

Instead of focusing on getting a house, I would instead do Baby Step #1 and Baby #3

#1 is $1,000 Emergency Fund

#3 is 3-6 months of expenses 

Obviously life got in the way of your payment history before. You want to prevent that from happening again, it's also emotionally stressful and that's not good.

You can do this while you bombard the bank(s) with your GW letters to get your lates removed. You got your money saved, then open some secured credit cards. Keep your balances low (30%, ideally sub 10%) at statement time. Once it post, PIF (Pay In Full) before due date.

I left out Baby Step #2 because your current car loan is your only trade line?

Message 5 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Manny, how much is your current car payment?

Do you need a new vehicle or just want one?

I ask that because installment loans don't help you with the purchase of a home. It is one of the biggest reasons people have a difficult time qualifying for a home loan - the new car payment is too large for their income (I see it all the time as a Realtor).

You would be better off concentrating on paying your current vehicle loan on time until it is paid off and then adding revolving accounts to increase your score. Remember to keep the revolving balances at zero except for one that is less than 10% of the credit line to maximize your score.

Have you checked into rehabbing your student loans? That will help you too.

As the other poster said, time is the best thing to heal your credit to get away from the late payments. Work on your savings so you aren't late anymore. You need to have a minimum of 12 months of ontime payments with NO late payments in order to obtain a mortgage.

This is great advice.

To add, if you look at my sig, my scores were 550+ in May 2013.  Don't try to qualify for house with 580 score.  SO many people don't realize there IS NO QUICK FIX to credit, and then come here wanting to fix real fast to buy a house.

One step at time.  Do a search in this forum (and google) for goodwill letters and threads that worked for the lates you want removed.  I think it takes 9 months to a year to rehab student loans, but then those will be clean.  The lates are the most damaging.  While you are building credit, open an account with a local credit union, and get a secured card (about 500).  Two to three revolvers are better than one.  

For or the collections, don't pay unless they delete.  These are called PFD (pay for delete).  Since they are small, you will probably get then to agree.  If they are not medical, but are cell phones and cable, a bit more tuff.  If you pay them and they update to paid in full, your fragile score will take big hit.

i've heard NFCU will be good with good wills.

Also,, the savings is good ideal. I lived for 6 years with cash and paypay debit cash back card for 6 years,  it's more important I have several savings vehicles available to me for emergencies.  So be sure to pay yourself first.  While rehabbing, and paying for delete, try to put 50 to 100 away eqch month.  Cut the cable, get a deal for a year of DSL (buy the router), and use an antenna and streaming tv.  Have only one phone with the lowest data plan. Hook the phone up to wifi when you get home (of course, other adult members need their phones too, but not the kids).  Budget and stick with it,  I only needed that savings for a year, but it was well worth it.

Hope that helps.  You should have at least 620 fico 04 scores, and mortgages don't want any unpaid collections, nor dispute comments on your file.  Plan on at least 1.5 to 2 years here.

Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it's been about 5 month and My scores are now: EXP - 581 TU - 605 EQ - 615. I've applied and was approved for a Quicksilver One card with a $500 limit. Yay! Thank y'all for all of the advice. I am down to 5 collections and would greatly appreciated some info on who to E-Mail. I have listed who I am left with. and thanks again

I C System
Enhanced Recovery Company, LLC.
Pinnacle Credit Service
Focus Receivables Management
Stuart Allan & Assoc

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.