Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to rebuild!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to rebuild!

Hello all! I am trying to raise my score. I was never taught the importance of good credit so I messed up quite early. I noticed around September 2014 that I have been extended some lines of credit through a few places and I am trying to find out the best and quickest way to get my score higher. I am close to limits on more then a few of my cards due to the Christmas season, but I am making minimum payments on time. Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to rebuild!

Quickest way to boost your score is to pay down your balances.

What credit lines do you have and what are the balances/limits?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hsn $350 (114.86)
kohls $300 (276.97)
lb $300 (209.43)
as $250 (197.06)
torrid $500 (413.32)
capital one (2) $300 (280.93) and $500 (496.69)
credit one $300 (292.69)
GameStop $300 ($260)
Victoria's Secret $250 ($127

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest making more than the minimum payment and get the balances paid off. That will be one of the best improvements you can make.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, I would suggest forgetting about maximizing your scores *for now* and instead, work on developing good credit HABITS. Pay down ALL of your cards as quickly as possible, beginning with the one with the lowest balance. Use the debt snowball method - rolling the payment amount from each paid off card onto the next one. As you pay each one off, sock drawer them (or freezer them - whatever works) to keep them from being run back up - I know from experience, the temptation is irresistable. The purpose of the store cards in rebuilding is not for purchasing a bunch of crap from the stores each holiday season, its to help you establish PERFECT PAYMENT HISTORY with multiple accounts, so you can later qualify for the better bank 'reward' cards. Consider these cards to be temporary stepping stones - essentially "Training Wheels", if you will, for your credit journey. One you have progressed past the need for them, let them become history.

Once you have your debt load under control, take those two Cap One cards out, and use them for your 'every day' spending - groceries, gas, utilities, etc. Charge them up, then pay them back down online with the money you DIDN'T spend because you used the cards instead. Make sure you have them paid down before the due date each month, so they report a low balance. Doesn't necessarily have to be PIF, but don't leave more than few dollars on them - less than 10% of their respective limits. Get in the habit of handling most of your spending this way. Cap One cards are great for this because you can make multiple payments per month online right from the accounts page. Don't rely on making 'paper check' payments via US mail with the monthly bill. I have not even opened a Cap One statement in months now.

Once you have done this for a few months, you should be able to start getting credit limit increases on them.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank u soooo much this is awesome advice! 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.