Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to rebuild

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to rebuild

I was recently 30 days late on a credit card payment and my score dropped over 100 points, I'm disappointed at such a significant drop over such a stupid mistake. I have tried a goodwill letter but was rejected.
I am at 594 and trying to rebuild, any advice would be appreciated.
I currently have 7 accounts on my credit file

1. 1 collections for $842 from First Premiere closed August 2012.

2. Mortgage current always paid on time

3. 1 Car payment closed September 2015 with late payments from 2013

4. 1 current car payment owe $9,500 on original $22,000 loan, always paid on time

5. Capital One credit card current always paid on time owe $425 on $500 balance

6. Current Open Gas Credit Card owe $326 on $2,900 limit always paid on time

7. Current open Tidewater (Home Depot) credit card owe $750 on $1,000 limit this has the 30 day late payment from December that dropped my score.

Thanks for reading, and please any advice to increase my score would be appreciated!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to rebuild

Keep trying the goodwill letters.  Sometimes it just takes the right person to have the letter in their hands. Especially once you've made several more ontime payments.

And luckily over time a 30 day lates impact will fade. So if all else fails,  keep doing your best to not let it happen again.  

I it were me ,  I would focus on how to remove the collection .because thats definately weighing down your scores a lot as well.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!
Thanks for responding, any advice on how to remove the collections?
Do you think if I paid off the capital one card or the Home Depot card it would make a big difference?
Message 3 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymouswrote:
Hi!
Thanks for responding, any advice on how to remove the collections?
Do you think if I paid off the capital one card or the Home Depot card it would make a big difference?

If the collection is unpaid you try the PFD. If its been paid you try the GW letter.

The reported balances are way to high on those 2 accounts relative to the CL. I would pay off the Cap 1 and drop the other below 30%.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization of the credit limit accounts for 30 % of credit score.

So getting it down to below 10% your score will go up

Message 5 of 7
DollyLama
Established Contributor

I agree with the above, work on the utilization, this will by far raise your score the quickest. However, this in only me, I'd pay in full HD, and Gas Card, and only let the bank issued Cap 1 report a balance (<8.99 of its' total tradeline if possible, if not, definitely under 28.99 %, these are thresholds for score bumps). Then I would work on the collection account, is the charge off with First P still? or  have they handed it over to a collection agency that is reporting? Always try for a pay for delete, own that you let it fall wayside, but in honesty would like to rectify the situation and trying to get your life back on track. If they won't budge, it appears it may age off late fall of next year. Then I would goodwill saturation the late payments on auto loan that is closed. You can search the forums using the keywords Goodwill saturation. The key here is a persistant plead, to obtaining emails of CEOs if needed till they tire of your persistance and finally remove it. The Tidewater may be harder as it is the most recent. I'd save that one for last. 

You can still use the gas card and HD if needed but always strive to pay in full by statement cut, not due date, so it will report a zero balance each month, it keeps the credit and payment history reporting. Letting only 1 card report a small balance, Never let all report 0 balances, as FICO will ding you for that. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your advice-I really appreciate your time!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.