cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to remove collection from Midland

tag
lmgood

Trying to remove collection from Midland

I have one collection on all three reports from Midland for a charged off Target Account.  All three CRA's show a DOFD as 7/2005 and a removal date of June 2012.  I sent out requests a few weeks ago to the big three to get my actual DOFD because I know it was actually sometime in 2004, but I don't know exactly when.  So basically, Midland is using the date of my last payment (which I know is July of 2005 because I can actually still log into my Target account online) to keep it on my report longer than they should.  If I can't get correct DOFDs from the CRAs (I paid them the $10.50, but so far only TransUnion has cashed a check) do you think I might still be able to get the information directly from Target?  While I can see my account summary (it is bare bones) I can't see any old statements, etc.

Also, since I know that my last payment and not my first deliquent payment were in 7/05 - should I send a letter to Midland offering a very reduced settlement to remove since they are using the wrong date, instead of waiting for the CRAs to give me the info and then fighting with Midland? 

I want to start looking for a house and would prefer that this stupid collection go away sooner rather than later so I don't have to write explanation letters or end up paying them for something that is way past SOL and legally the CRTP. 

Thanks so much for any advice.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Trying to remove collection from Midland

I would start by calling Target.

I wouldn't offer anything until the OC confirms the DoFD.

Message 2 of 7
lmgood

Thanks - that is definitely the way I'm leaning, I just hope they still have enough info in their system to be able to provide it. (if I don't get word back from EQ, EX and TU)

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 7
lmgood

It was sold to Midland.

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

aaRe: Trying to remove collection from Midland

If all three CRAs are showing the same DOFD, then chances are that the OC incorrectly reported it to the CRAs.

If a simple call to the OC does not resolve this, then I would suggest you file a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8), disputing their date of reporting of DOFD under FCRA 623(a)(5).  That will, of course, require your showing from your account records of the actual DOFD.

Message 6 of 7
tjc
Established Member

I was in the same boat with Midland with my dell account.  I sent them a letter informing them that this account was past 7.5 years from DOFD (I wasn't 100% sure that it was or not) and they responded quickly to tell me that they were removing this account.  I did pay the collection about a year ago, and they may have deleted it on their own, like I said the letter came to me less then a week after I sent mine. 

Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.