cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to start the New Year in the right direction.

tag
Obito-Ishii

Trying to start the New Year in the right direction.

Hello, Community Members

When I was younger I was a complete mess with credit. Trying to get on the right track, in December (2012) after being declined both a secured and unsecured credit card from my bank (Citi Bank),  I applied for a Capitol One secured credit, and was approved (for $3k). In May (2013), I was approved for  Citi Bank unsecured credit card, after using the Capitol One card only for gas, and paying it off immediately every month. I Thought things were looking up.

Up to this point I have yet to order a copy of my 3 credit reports. Last week I got my free annual copy of my 3 CR’s, and got a bit of a shock. Each CR stated the 2 credit cards I have, and 1 mystery installment account that are in good standing. Each CR states I have 2 negative accounts (either Collections or Charge Off’s and all different). The installment account and 2 negative accounts are all Key Bank accounts (From 2003).  I know one is legitimate, just not sure which one it is.

I recently came into some extra money, and plan to send PFD (In Full) letter for the 3 negative accounts (Credit Collection Service, Lamont Hanley & Associates, and Key Bank). I’m not sure how to go about finding the correct Key Bank account. Each of the Key Banks has a different address, but 5/7 has similar account numbers. Should I send a DV letter to all the Key Bank accounts? I’m just confused, since both the negative, and the positive accounts are the same. Also is this a legitimate practice that Key Bank is doing?

Thank you for your time, on this matter. Take care.

Below is a simple table of the accounts in question.

Transunion                                                              Experian                                                                                 Equifax

Negative Accounts

Key Bank USA                                                            Key Bank                                                                   Key Bank of Puget Sound

Account #: 53903400000072555*****                   Account #: 999991*****                                            Account #: 466871*****

Date Opened: 05/14/2003                                        Date Opened: 05/2003                                            Date Opened: 05/2003

Last Payment: 09/26/2007                                        Last Payment: 05/2008                                           Last Payment: 09/2007

First Delinquency Date: N/A                                      First Delinquency Date: N/A                                   First Delinquency Date: 12/2007

Status: Charge Off                                                      Status: Collections                                                   Status: Charge Off

Charge off amount: $3,473                                       Collections amount: $4,200                                   Charge off amount: $4,200

Credit Collection Service                                        Lamont Hanley & Associates                                 Key Bank

Account #: 3410*****                                                 Account #: 2879780                                                   Account #: 3903400000072555*****

Date Opened: 03/30/2009                                       Date Opened: 11/2007                                              Date Opened: 05/14/2003

Last Payment: N/A                                                     Last Payment: 03/2008                                             Last Payment: 09/26/2007

First Delinquency Date                                             First Delinquency Date: N/A                                     First Delinquency Date: 12/2007

Status: Collections                                                    Status: Collections                                                    Status: Charge Off

Collections amount: $100                                        Collections amount: $62                                         Charge off amount: $3,278

Satisfactory Accounts

Key Bank USA                                                             Key Bank NA                                                              Key Education Resour Knight College Resource GR

Account #: 6080072555*****                                    Account #: 6080072555*****                                    Account #: 6080072555****

Date Opened: 05/2003                                               Date Opened: 05/2003                                            Date Opened: 05/01/2003

Last Reported: 12/2005                                             Last Reported: 12/2005                                           Last Reported: 01/01/2006

Amount: $3,956                                                           Amount: $3,956                                                         Amount: $3,956

Status: Current; Paid or Paying As Agreed            Status: Transferred, closed/Never late.                Status: Pays As Agreed

Remarks: Account closed due to transfer.             Comment: Account closed due to transfer.         Comment: N/A

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Obito-Ishii

Re: Trying to start the New Year in the right direction.

After doing a bit more reading about PDF letters, I have a another questions now.

Credit Collection Service & Lament Hanley & Associates only report on one CAR each. Do you think sending a PDF would more likely back fire, since the amounts are small? That they would then report to all 3 Car's.

Message 2 of 5
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@Obito-Ishii wrote:

Hello, Community Members

When I was younger I was a complete mess with credit. Trying to get on the right track, in December (2012) after being declined both a secured and unsecured credit card from my bank (Citi Bank),  I applied for a Capitol One secured credit, and was approved (for $3k). In May (2013), I was approved for  Citi Bank unsecured credit card, after using the Capitol One card only for gas, and paying it off immediately every month. I Thought things were looking up.

Up to this point I have yet to order a copy of my 3 credit reports. Last week I got my free annual copy of my 3 CR’s, and got a bit of a shock. Each CR stated the 2 credit cards I have, and 1 mystery installment account that are in good standing. Each CR states I have 2 negative accounts (either Collections or Charge Off’s and all different). The installment account and 2 negative accounts are all Key Bank accounts (From 2003).  I know one is legitimate, just not sure which one it is.

I recently came into some extra money, and plan to send PFD (In Full) letter for the 3 negative accounts (Credit Collection Service, Lamont Hanley & Associates, and Key Bank). I’m not sure how to go about finding the correct Key Bank account. Each of the Key Banks has a different address, but 5/7 has similar account numbers. Should I send a DV letter to all the Key Bank accounts? I’m just confused, since both the negative, and the positive accounts are the same. Also is this a legitimate practice that Key Bank is doing?

Thank you for your time, on this matter. Take care.

Below is a simple table of the accounts in question.

Transunion                                                              Experian                                                                                 Equifax

Negative Accounts

Key Bank USA                                                            Key Bank                                                                   Key Bank of Puget Sound

Account #: 53903400000072555*****                   Account #: 999991*****                                            Account #: 466871*****

Date Opened: 05/14/2003                                        Date Opened: 05/2003                                            Date Opened: 05/2003

Last Payment: 09/26/2007                                        Last Payment: 05/2008                                           Last Payment: 09/2007

First Delinquency Date: N/A                                      First Delinquency Date: N/A                                   First Delinquency Date: 12/2007

Status: Charge Off                                                      Status: Collections                                                   Status: Charge Off

Charge off amount: $3,473                                       Collections amount: $4,200                                   Charge off amount: $4,200

Credit Collection Service                                        Lamont Hanley & Associates                                 Key Bank

Account #: 3410*****                                                 Account #: 2879780                                                   Account #: 3903400000072555*****

Date Opened: 03/30/2009                                       Date Opened: 11/2007                                              Date Opened: 05/14/2003

Last Payment: N/A                                                     Last Payment: 03/2008                                             Last Payment: 09/26/2007

First Delinquency Date                                             First Delinquency Date: N/A                                     First Delinquency Date: 12/2007

Status: Collections                                                    Status: Collections                                                    Status: Charge Off

Collections amount: $100                                        Collections amount: $62                                         Charge off amount: $3,278

Satisfactory Accounts

Key Bank USA                                                             Key Bank NA                                                              Key Education Resour Knight College Resource GR

Account #: 6080072555*****                                    Account #: 6080072555*****                                    Account #: 6080072555****

Date Opened: 05/2003                                               Date Opened: 05/2003                                            Date Opened: 05/01/2003

Last Reported: 12/2005                                             Last Reported: 12/2005                                           Last Reported: 01/01/2006

Amount: $3,956                                                           Amount: $3,956                                                         Amount: $3,956

Status: Current; Paid or Paying As Agreed            Status: Transferred, closed/Never late.                Status: Pays As Agreed

Remarks: Account closed due to transfer.             Comment: Account closed due to transfer.         Comment: N/A

Personally I'd send debt validation letters requesting the original account numbers, original creditors, and itemization of the debt. If you don't know what it is for, or what those amounts are, you could potentially be paying on something that isn't yours. The amounts are so similar to the paid / closed accounts that this is really confusing. It's even more confusing that the account numbers don't match.

Generally accounts starting with a 5 are Mastercards, starting with a 4 are Visas, and starting with 0-1 are usually checking accounts. 6 used to be Discover, but in your case, it could have been a line of over draft credit or something. I  really don't know. I'm not sure what state you are in, but it seems that some of those should be falling off your credit report this year due to the age. I don't know what the SoL is where you are.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 3 of 5
Obito-Ishii

Thank you for your input on this matter Monotony. I am also confused on the items. I also think it will best to do a Debt Validation to get all the correct information on the accounts. I live in CA, and looks like the Key Bank accounts have an estimated drop off date around 11/2014. I could wait, but I plan on purchasing a condo with in the next 2 years, and want to have enough time to work up to a 700 credit score. I know I owe the debt to Key Bank, and just want to settle it at last.

Message 4 of 5
Obito-Ishii

So I sent the DV to Credit Collection Service and Lamont Hanley & Associates. And now the waiting game begins. I did not send a DV to the Key Bank accounts since they are the original creditor, and listed on my CR. As per multiple postings on this site, DV are only intended for the CA.

Going over my CR once more, I found 3 of the 7 “Key Bank” accounts have the same address & phone #. The other 4 are all reporting in different states, and only one showing a phone #. I’m planning on calling the 2 phone #’s, and see where I get. Since one "Key Bank" is in negative standing, and one "Key Bank" is satisfactory standing still has me confused, and has me second guessing myself. Do you think this is the best route to take?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.