Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to turn credit around. Please help

tag
Jaguars28fan
Contributor

Trying to turn credit around. Please help

Hello,

I've been just ignoring my credit/debt for about a year or two now from mistakes when I was young... hoping it'd go away or just thinking "oh I could file for bankruptcy" etc.  Well... it's been a while and I just pulled up my scores (knowing I would have MANY charge offs, collections, etc.).  I have pulled my score from a few sites (creditkarma, scoresense) and it ranges from 520 to 570.  My debt totals around 15k.  I'm looking to build back my credit to eventually purchase a home with my fiance and son (far in the future obv.).  I don't know where to start.  I don't know if I should just file for bankruptcy, should I let the big debt fall off my report (won't be for another 3 years).  Anyways, any help would be appreciated.  The following are my 4 accounts that have been charged off and still have a balance.  I have about 9 accounts that have been charged off with no balance (b/c they sold them)... what should I do with those?

ASSET ACCEPTANCE owed 6623  date opened was 06/09 in attempt to collect a debt from chase bank that was last paid on 07/07.

CAPITAL ONE owed 5303 that was last paid on 09/07.

FIRST PREMIER BANK owed 159 that was last paid on 09/07.

LVNV FUNDING, LLC owed 4344 in attempt to collect for Washington Mutual that was last paid on 07/07.

I lived in VA when all these debts occured, so I think the SOL would have ended for most of them if not all.  I do live in PA now, if it makes a difference but I believe the SOL is the same.  I put myself in a big hole, I understand.  I give up a long time ago and it was definately a mistake.  I was going to just file for bankruptcy until I find a few sites like this showing how some people ended up being able to slowly crawl back out of the hole.  Anyways...

Do I start to pay off the ones I can first? to lower my debt ratio??

I'm trying to open new secured credit cards.

I am going to try to become an authorized user on my fiances cards (I wouldn't use the cards, just try to get help on the credit side)

Any help would be GREALY appreicated.  Thank you

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Trying to turn credit around. Please help

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

If I had that, I wouldn't think about BK. The damage to your CR would only get worse with a BK and it would also push any future home purchase back by 3 more years (I believe that's the standard for mortgage lenders post-BK). PA's SOL is 4 years from last payment and you are poking at that now. Even if SOL had not expired on some, not every creditor will even sue. I would though save up to eventually pay them. I bet with some creative rebudgeting, increasing income, and decreasing expenses, you could easily save up for the full $15k inside of a year. And even if you had it, you won't need it because SOL would be over and you can be in a position to settle if you wanted/needed to. Moreover, I bet with some letters and effort, you could get your scores into the high-600s by the end of this year.

About 4 years ago, I stumbled upon this site after putting my head in the sand. I used to get bills and toss them into a box, most of which were never opened. I did this for years and when I wised up, my scores were in the low to mid-500s and had over $20k in bad debt. Some of it was in SOL and even got sued 6 times, but never considered BK. I just started making offers and paid most of it off, but to my benefit of having a cleaner report. Within 3-4 months of effort and dozens of letters, my scores were in the mid-600s and paid off quite a bit of debt in the process.

I suggest starting by pulling all 3 reports for free from annualcreditreport.com. If interested in repair, these reports are a necessity because they show more info not found elsewhere and contain info you can't get from here or anywhere else. If interested in FICO scores, then I recommend pulling your EQ FICO and TU FICO from here. Unfortunately scoresense and creditkarma offer scores, but they are not FICO scores. They are fake scores we call FAKOs. Your actual FICO could be much higher or lower than the ones you pulled. Your FICO reports will also show info with regards to what hurts your score the most and which accounts hurt the most. Another thing to note is that a paid CO or CA is equally bad as an unpaid one. In other words, it's OK to pay your debt, just try to get a deletion agreement before paying them to help aid your score increase.

Read the links above. In general without seeing more, Asset Acceptance and LVNV are CAs. I'd probably wait to do anything until SOL expires in September, but at that time, I would send DV letters to each. If they verify and you agree, then send PFDs. If they agree in writing, then pay it and they'll delete. In your PFD, you can offer less than owed of course.

CapOne and First Premier are OCs. You'd want to wait until SOL expires and then mail a PFD. You can offer a settlement in that PFD offer. CapOne loves to sue. I'd save up for them first because you have 2 months to go. And I'd also confirm the date of last payment just to be sure. PA's SOL goes off the DOFD of a debt but a payment will reset SOL in PA. And alternative to PFDs is just to pay it off. These accounts could be factored into your CC utilization if they report a CL and could really be dinging your score. Paying it off could result in a decent score increase.

For the 9 accounts reporting $0, send each GW letters. If they are younger than your AAoA then ask for a deletion in your GW. IF they are among your oldest accounts, you may want to wait then. Sometimes losing old accounts hurts more than the baddie itself. These 9 should be OCs. Even if the OC doesn't own the debt, and is reporting $0, you may want to wait until SOL expires on each first, just in case that OC contacts any CA that's out there. You wouldn't want the CA trying to sue for that debt.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.