cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two C/A's for same account?

tag
Valued Member

Two C/A's for same account?

My husband and I were looking at his credit report and noticed he has two collection accounts for the same oc.  (Sprint)  One is AFNI Inc. the other is Diversified Consultant, the amounts are the same, the date opened is Oct 2012 on one (Diversified) and April 2013 on the other (AFNI).  I was prepared to offer a PFD, but am not sure who to contact since two seperate companies are reporting.  How should I handle this?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Two C/A's for same account?

@9110 wrote:

My husband and I were looking at his credit report and noticed he has two collection accounts for the same oc.  (Sprint)  One is AFNI Inc. the other is Diversified Consultant, the amounts are the same, the date opened is Oct 2012 on one (Diversified) and April 2013 on the other (AFNI).  I was prepared to offer a PFD, but am not sure who to contact since two seperate companies are reporting.  How should I handle this?

Hi 9110, Two CA's can report the same debt but only one can actively collect. When is the DoFD for Sprint? Very important to know. What is the SOL in your state? That determines if they can still legally sue you. If the debt is beyond the SOL then I would fire off DV letters to both CA's to see who owns the account and that's the one you would offer the PFD to. 

Community Leader, 

DaBears

Message 2 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, 2 CAs cannot be on your report for the same debt.  If it was sold or transferred to another CA, the first one has to delete their TL.

Message 3 of 9
DaBears
Senior Contributor

+1 guiness. My apologies. Guiness is correct two ca's can not be on your credit report at the same time for the same debt. Dunno where my head was lol.

Message 4 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

+1 guiness. My apologies. Guiness is correct two ca's can not be on your credit report at the same time for the same debt. Dunno where my head was lol.

Tired maybe? 

Message 5 of 9
Valued Member

Than you for the replies. Since they should not both be on my credit report what would be my best option for attempting to get them removed?
Message 6 of 9
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@DaBears wrote:

Tired maybe? 

Dealing with a nasty head cold still. BAD BAD medicine lol

Message 7 of 9
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@9110 wrote:
Than you for the replies. Since they should not both be on my credit report what would be my best option for attempting to get them removed?

Do you know who the OC is? You can call them to find out who owns the debt. 

Message 8 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.