jbrendel

Two CAs for the same account?

I believe Asset Acceptance and Midland Funding are both reporting the same debt charged off from Citibank. Is this allowed?
Frequent Contributor
Lois5669

Re: Two CAs for the same account?

Yes it is unfortunately. Either one owned it in the past and sold it to the other or the debt is still owned by the OC and these 2 CAs were assigned to collect. I would DV both CAs just to see who actually owns it right now. But the one that doesn't own it can still report past info...just not update new. It helps to also look at the dates last updated on them.

For example, I have 2 CAs reporting the same debt on one of mine AND the OC still owns it. The 1 CA hasn't updated their TL since 2008. The other CA first reported last year. So, I have the same amount being reported 3 times. These all fall off Jan of next year so I'm just letting them sit until then or until all my other stuff is cleared up and I can focus on them.

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Member
amanda1266

Hi,  I had an account reporting from two CA's.  I disputed the one that no longer had the account with the CRA's and it was deleted right away. I told them the account was now with a different collection agency

I would give that a try. 

Starting Score: 1/24/12 - EQ 550
Current Score: 6/26/13 - EQ 710, TU 686
Goal Score: 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
rckstrscott

amanda1266 wrote:

Hi,  I had an account reporting from two CA's.  I disputed the one that no longer had the account with the CRA's and it was deleted right away. I told them the account was now with a different collection agency

I would give that a try. 

this is not supposed to work. however, you are right. it does work more then it doesnt...

-scott

Starting FICO Score: 10/10: TU 498 | EQ: 502 Current FICO Score(lender pull): 09/14: TU: 784 | EQ: 752 | EX: 784
Collections Removed: Hunter Warfield, CBE Group, Merchants Credit Guide, EOS-CCA, Enhanced Recovery, Portfolio Recovery, UCB, American Collection Company, Medical Business Bureau, Jefferson Capital, Credit Portfolio Associates, FCO, LVNV, Convergent, Armor Systems
Other Negative Entries Removed:Plains Commerce CO, HSBC CO, 2008 Judgment Santander Reposession

Positive Accounts:10/10: 0 | 07/12: 6 | Mortgage Closed 5/12, Macy's AMEX $13900, Citi/Home Depot $8500, Capital One Cash Rewards $3500, BOA $7500 Total Utilization: 3%. AAoA: 2yr, 9mth. INQS: 1 TU, 1 EQ, 3 EX
Valued Member
amanda1266

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. 

If it's one account and showing from two CA's, then it appears that you have two collection accounts instead of one.  It doesn't make sense for it not to be deleted.

Valued Contributor
rckstrscott

amanda1266 wrote:

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. 

If it's one account and showing from two CA's, then it appears that you have two collection accounts instead of one.  It doesn't make sense for it not to be deleted.

Logic sense doesn't always apply to the FCRA :smileyhappy:

-scott

Starting FICO Score: 10/10: TU 498 | EQ: 502 Current FICO Score(lender pull): 09/14: TU: 784 | EQ: 752 | EX: 784
Collections Removed: Hunter Warfield, CBE Group, Merchants Credit Guide, EOS-CCA, Enhanced Recovery, Portfolio Recovery, UCB, American Collection Company, Medical Business Bureau, Jefferson Capital, Credit Portfolio Associates, FCO, LVNV, Convergent, Armor Systems
Other Negative Entries Removed:Plains Commerce CO, HSBC CO, 2008 Judgment Santander Reposession

Positive Accounts:10/10: 0 | 07/12: 6 | Mortgage Closed 5/12, Macy's AMEX $13900, Citi/Home Depot $8500, Capital One Cash Rewards $3500, BOA $7500 Total Utilization: 3%. AAoA: 2yr, 9mth. INQS: 1 TU, 1 EQ, 3 EX
jbrendel

So, Amanda... I believe I've figured out that Asset Acceptance sold the debt to Midland Funding last year and no longer owns it. In order to get Asset's claim taken off my CR, do I get ahold of Asset or the CRAs? If the latter, how do I do that?
Valued Member
amanda1266

jbrendel wrote:
So, Amanda... I believe I've figured out that Asset Acceptance sold the debt to Midland Funding last year and no longer owns it. In order to get Asset's claim taken off my CR, do I get ahold of Asset or the CRAs? If the latter, how do I do that?

I went to the CRA website and did an online dispute.  I did not contact the CA at all.  So when you go the website of Transunion, Equifax and Experian, dispute the Asset Acceptance.  For the reason, put that they no longer have the account and that the debt is being reported twice on your credit report.

jbrendel

gotcha, thanks!
Frequent Contributor
Lois5669

The reason you were able to get the old CA deleted through dispute is because they apparently didn't respond to eOscar, which sometimes happens because they don't own or have records of the debt anymore and don't care. It wasn't deleted because of it being an error as any CA is allowed to report a debt they tried to collect.

With that said, I do have disputes in with 2 of the CRAs on the older of my 2 CAs..been about a week. We'll see what happens but I won't argue if they validate.

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}