Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two CAs for the same account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two CAs for the same account?

I believe Asset Acceptance and Midland Funding are both reporting the same debt charged off from Citibank. Is this allowed?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

Re: Two CAs for the same account?

Yes it is unfortunately. Either one owned it in the past and sold it to the other or the debt is still owned by the OC and these 2 CAs were assigned to collect. I would DV both CAs just to see who actually owns it right now. But the one that doesn't own it can still report past info...just not update new. It helps to also look at the dates last updated on them.

For example, I have 2 CAs reporting the same debt on one of mine AND the OC still owns it. The 1 CA hasn't updated their TL since 2008. The other CA first reported last year. So, I have the same amount being reported 3 times. These all fall off Jan of next year so I'm just letting them sit until then or until all my other stuff is cleared up and I can focus on them.

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 15
amanda1266
Valued Member

Hi,  I had an account reporting from two CA's.  I disputed the one that no longer had the account with the CRA's and it was deleted right away. I told them the account was now with a different collection agency

I would give that a try. 

Message 3 of 15
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@amanda1266 wrote:

Hi,  I had an account reporting from two CA's.  I disputed the one that no longer had the account with the CRA's and it was deleted right away. I told them the account was now with a different collection agency

I would give that a try. 

this is not supposed to work. however, you are right. it does work more then it doesnt...

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 15
amanda1266
Valued Member

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. 

If it's one account and showing from two CA's, then it appears that you have two collection accounts instead of one.  It doesn't make sense for it not to be deleted.

Message 5 of 15
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@amanda1266 wrote:

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. 

If it's one account and showing from two CA's, then it appears that you have two collection accounts instead of one.  It doesn't make sense for it not to be deleted.

Logic sense doesn't always apply to the FCRA Smiley Happy

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, Amanda... I believe I've figured out that Asset Acceptance sold the debt to Midland Funding last year and no longer owns it. In order to get Asset's claim taken off my CR, do I get ahold of Asset or the CRAs? If the latter, how do I do that?
Message 7 of 15
amanda1266
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:
So, Amanda... I believe I've figured out that Asset Acceptance sold the debt to Midland Funding last year and no longer owns it. In order to get Asset's claim taken off my CR, do I get ahold of Asset or the CRAs? If the latter, how do I do that?

I went to the CRA website and did an online dispute.  I did not contact the CA at all.  So when you go the website of Transunion, Equifax and Experian, dispute the Asset Acceptance.  For the reason, put that they no longer have the account and that the debt is being reported twice on your credit report.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

gotcha, thanks!
Message 9 of 15
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

The reason you were able to get the old CA deleted through dispute is because they apparently didn't respond to eOscar, which sometimes happens because they don't own or have records of the debt anymore and don't care. It wasn't deleted because of it being an error as any CA is allowed to report a debt they tried to collect.

With that said, I do have disputes in with 2 of the CRAs on the older of my 2 CAs..been about a week. We'll see what happens but I won't argue if they validate.

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.