Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Collections On Same Account, Paid OC Instead

tag
GameMaster1564
New Contributor

Two Collections On Same Account, Paid OC Instead

I have two collection agencies who is trying to collecting on the same Comcast account. The collection agencies are CCS Collections and Stellar Recovery. The balance on CCS is $266, Stellar Recovery is at $247. The CCS collection has the incorrect balance.

The problem is that I never received a dunning notice from Stellar Recovery, they just instantly started reporting. I also do not have an account number with them to dispute on TU and EX. I was successfull at getting it deleted from EQ but I dont remember the account number they used. I have paid the debt in person directly to Comcast in hope of getting them both deleted. 10 days after making the payment to Comcast, they are both still reporting balances and unpaid. Comcast said that after making the payment, they would get with the collection agency to delete. So far, nothing.

I dont even know who the actual collector was (dont care now, directly paid the OC)

What is my next step?

Note: I used the official myfico 3B credit monitering to retrieve my reports and for Stellar Recovery the account numers are all X's.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Two Collections On Same Account, Paid OC Instead

A debt collector is not required to send dunning notice prior to reporting to a CRA, so that is not an error.

However, you should only have one collection showing in your credit report.

If collection authority to a first debt collector is terminated, as exhibited by the reporting of the second debt collector, then CRA policy requires the first debt collector to delete their collection.

If you pay the OC while an debt collector has collection authority, then the debt collector is not required to delete their collection.

You can dispute the first collection on the basis that their collection authority was terminated in favor of the second debt collector.

Reporting by the second debt collector is proper.

Message 2 of 3
GameMaster1564
New Contributor

Re: Two Collections On Same Account, Paid OC Instead

Update: Well the CCS collection was finally deleted on EQ after dispute. Im not sure if it was also deleted from EX or TU yet.

The bad news is that stellar updated as a "paid collection" when I paid comcast in full and in person with the original receipt as proof. I am still waiting for another dispute to finish.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.