cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two late payments from 2010 on Best Buy card. Do I send GW letter to HSBC or Capital One?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two late payments from 2010 on Best Buy card. Do I send GW letter to HSBC or Capital One?

Hi,

I missed a couple of payments on my Best Buy card in 2010. I'd like to try out a goodwill letter, but I'm not sure whether I should send it to HSBC or Capital One. As you're probably aware, Capital One bought most of HSBC's accounts earlier this year, and my Best Buy account was among those.

I'm a little confused because my Transunion and Experian reports list the account as HSBC Best Buy, but my Equifax report lists it as CAP1/Damark International Inc.

The contact address is the same on all three: PO Box 5253 Carol Stream, IL 60197.

Should I just send my GW letter to that address or should I send it somewhere else?

Should I send the letter to HSBC because they were the last to report the account or should I send it to Capital One because they now own it?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: Two late payments from 2010 on Best Buy card. Do I send GW letter to HSBC or Capital One?

Send it to both, it's not going to hurt anything.

If these were 30 days lates, chances are they are not affecting your score much anymore and would only be beneficial during a manual review.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 4
kjel
Established Contributor

Re: Two late payments from 2010 on Best Buy card. Do I send GW letter to HSBC or Capital One?

CapitalOne acquired HSBC's consumer credit card portfolio earlier this year and they are now in the final stages of transition. I have two Orchard Bank credit cards that are now reporting as CapitalOne on my credit report.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 3 of 4
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Just a couple months ago my Best Buy card also showed up as C1 on my reports. I would send them to both just in case.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.