New Visitor
doug-y-doug

Two late payments from 2010 on Best Buy card. Do I send GW letter to HSBC or Capital One?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I missed a couple of payments on my Best Buy card in 2010. I'd like to try out a goodwill letter, but I'm not sure whether I should send it to HSBC or Capital One. As you're probably aware, Capital One bought most of HSBC's accounts earlier this year, and my Best Buy account was among those.

I'm a little confused because my Transunion and Experian reports list the account as HSBC Best Buy, but my Equifax report lists it as CAP1/Damark International Inc.

The contact address is the same on all three: PO Box 5253 Carol Stream, IL 60197.

Should I just send my GW letter to that address or should I send it somewhere else?

Should I send the letter to HSBC because they were the last to report the account or should I send it to Capital One because they now own it?

Thanks.

Valued Contributor
madmann26

Re: Two late payments from 2010 on Best Buy card. Do I send GW letter to HSBC or Capital One?

Send it to both, it's not going to hurt anything.

If these were 30 days lates, chances are they are not affecting your score much anymore and would only be beneficial during a manual review.

Starting Score: EQ 511 TU 552 EX 545 8/29/2012
Current Score: TU 705|EQ 690|EXP 698 (FICO)
What's in my wallet? Cap1 PLAT AU $1.25k; Cap1 Cash AU $2k; NFCU Siggy $23k; $4k WalMart DC; CFNA Firestone $2.2k; Amazon $1.5k; NFCU Cash Rewards $22K; AMEX BCE $6k; NavCheck $15k; Lowe's $10k; Citi DP $6.3k; AMEX ED $8.5k
Goal Score: 700 across the board.
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
My Journey
Frequent Contributor
kjel

Re: Two late payments from 2010 on Best Buy card. Do I send GW letter to HSBC or Capital One?

CapitalOne acquired HSBC's consumer credit card portfolio earlier this year and they are now in the final stages of transition. I have two Orchard Bank credit cards that are now reporting as CapitalOne on my credit report.

Starting Score: TU: 549 | EQ: 549 | EX FAKO: 541
Current Score: TU: 641 | EQ: 666 | EX: 645
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Epcot

Just a couple months ago my Best Buy card also showed up as C1 on my reports. I would send them to both just in case.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 809 EX 774 TU 805
App free since 4/11/13

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+