Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two of the same

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two of the same

About 2 years ago i move from Florida To AZ. at that time my bank held my payroll check and i had to use all my credit card for the travel, which gave me the debit i have now. My question is if i have two company reporting on my credit report for the same debt, is that allowed... and if it is not does anyone know what section it is in the FCRA so the when i disputie is i can address that in my letter? Even better does any one have a example of a letter that i could us to address it?

thank you for your time.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Two of the same

It would help if you could give a bit more information. What are the two companies that are reporting?

Is one the original creditor (the credit card company)? Is the second one a collection agency? Was the original debt charged off?

It is legal for both an original creditor and a collection agency to report on the same debt. I believe only the collection agency can report a balance due. Let us know what's on the report, and you'll get more exact information.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, You gave me the Info that I needed.

Thank you for your Quick response

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had at least 2 collection agencies reporting the same account with all 3 bureaus and had the hardest time getting them corrected or removed. Most of the time it was a utility bill and my car repo. Only way to get it fixed in my situation was to allow time to take care of it. As of last week when I pulled my reports, Cox cable was still reporting 2x that I owe them for a cable box. But, the others fell off. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.