Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typical new guy questions!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Typical new guy questions!

First off let me say hi, been lurking around for the past few months but have never posted. Now I feel like I'm ready to start taking on my crummy credit. Boy if I could get  a redo on some of the things that I have done, but don't we all?! 

For starters I have a family a wife, daughter, and a soon to arrive son. She is a stay at home mom so income comes down to me, so it can be hard to try and tackle my credit. I am slowly working down my cc utilization since its high, but i have three items in collections. one is medical one is Verizon and one is a apartment company. 

The medical I am going to try and use a pfd letter found here to take care of that one as its less than $250, the apartment had wanted to settle for half of what was owed but I didn't have the money at the time to settle. The one I am most worried about is Verizon as its high. 

Has anyone here had success using pfd with RPM collections? Google reviews had nothing pleasant to say about them. I feel like if i am able to get that deleted it would boost my credit by a lot, but im not sure how to go about it. 

I kind of woke the beast by trying to dispute the collection, after that didn't work they started calling none stop. The vzw debt is about a year and half old so its not going anywhere anytime soon. Id really like to try and rebuild as much as I can to try and qualify for a FHA loan to get a house. Any help is greatly appreciated, and hopefully i can get these things taken care of. Smiley Happy Sorry for the book but wanted to be thorough.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Typical new guy questions!

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are seeking 880 I have about half right now, currently saving. I'm ready to play ball though, I feel like this is a huge negative on my credit now, and if I was able to get it removed it would help boost it back up. Thanks for the reply
Message 3 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
They are seeking 880 I have about half right now, currently saving. I'm ready to play ball though, I feel like this is a huge negative on my credit now, and if I was able to get it removed it would help boost it back up. Thanks for the reply

Since they have already started calling, you might as well begin the writing.  Offer $300 and let them counter. In the meantime, build up your coffers assuming they want the full $880 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I just start with a PFD? I have one that I found here on the forums, when sending do I need to know my account number for said collection?
Message 5 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Should I just start with a PFD? I have one that I found here on the forums, when sending do I need to know my account number for said collection?

If you have the acct number that's fine.  Is the debt reporting accurately, any reason why you need to do a DV?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not have the acct number. Not sure where to get it either. I dont have a reason to do a dv. As I know its mine and the amount is correct.
Message 7 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I do not have the acct number. Not sure where to get it either. I dont have a reason to do a dv. As I know its mine and the amount is correct.

The DV serves several purposes one is to validate that its yours to begin with (you know it is) the other is to verify they still have authority to collect on the account. If you are going to just send the PFD I am pretty sure they will find your account just by name and address.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK thanks for the input do you think it'd be a good idea to do the dv anyways?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.