cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNBELIEVEABLE Jefferson Capital Systems Situation!

tag
DoctorLoomis
Regular Contributor

UNBELIEVEABLE Jefferson Capital Systems Situation!

On April 19th Jefferson Capital acknowledged my police report and identity theft form. They agreed to delete and all three bureaus were clear within 48 hours. All is good....until two days ago. This Jefferson account has resurfaced on my Equifax report only. I called Jefferson and the supervisor told me the account was deleted and no longer exists! How in the world can Equifax report an account that no longer exists??? Anyhow, I called EQ and disputed yet again. I also faxed the police report, identity theft form, AND the letter of deletion from Jefferson Capital. Guys....1. How could this possibly happen? 2. Will it be deleted again? 3. Will it reappear again? 4. Will I recover the 14 points I lost on my FAKO if and when it's deleted again?

Chase Southwest - $88,500 I CSP - $50,000 I Barclays Aviator Silver - $50,000 I Wells Fargo Sig - $25,000 I AMEX Amazon Prime - $40,000 I B of A Cash Rewards - $77,200 l AMEX Platinum NPSL l PayPal MC - $10,000 l Sportsmans Guide Visa - $18,400 l CITI Simplicity - $16,600 l CITI Premier - $17,000 | AMEX Hilton Honors - $20,000 | Discover It - $20,500 | Coldwater Creek MC - $10,000 | Williams Sonoma - $11,500 | Nordstrom VISA Sig - $20,000 | J Crew - $10,000 | Apple Card - $68,000
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: UNBELIEVEABLE Jefferson Capital Systems Situation!

I'm in the same boat. Involved the 605(b) tactic, and wrote a nice letter to the FDIC for their "non compliance."

*edit: mine's from Midland.

Message 2 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

When a creditor sends information to the CRA it is done electronically through a tape or some other media.  It is possible it was not deleted from that media.  Have Jefferson insure it is updated to show the TL deleted.

Message 3 of 8
Bell536
Contributor

Burned..

I have a question for you but you don't have private messages enabled...

If i'm hijacking the thread, please just ignore me.. Sorry

I originally disputed the tradelines which is still showing in progress (though when i mailed back up information they created a second dispute which came back verified already) So...then I submitted my FTC identity theft form to midland.  (They had a different name, address for the account!) Well, MCM agreed to delete last week. Well, today I got an update from equifax that they not only updated the information, costig me points!, but they( or EQ) added a third dispute to the tradelines?  Is this normal?  Will these two disputes eventually go away and the lines deleted or do I need to take action...

Sorry for butting in.. 

Clean up CR for home purchase.Started on 04/16/2013.
04/16/13 EQ 536,TU 537,EXP 552 Lender pull
04/30/13 EQ 602 MYFico.com 05/12/13 EQ 614 / TU 595 MYFico.com
05/18/13 EQ 625 MYFico.com,614TU 5/28 EQ 625 Mid Score 621 TU
05/31/13 EQ 663 MyFico!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The proper procedure is to send the identity theft/police report directly to the CRA, which requires them to block the asserted identity theft information from any credit report they issue.  FCRA 605B.  The creditor is not involved in that block, and no dispute or "proofs" are involved.

You send an identity theft report to the OC to demand their business records pertaining to the account.  FCRA 609(e).

Receipt of an identity theft report by an OC does not compel them to delete the reported information.  If sent in the form of a request for business records under section 609(e), it gives the consumer the right to all business records in possession of the creditor pertaining to the alleged identity theft information.

Sending an identity theft report to a CRA or the creditor is not in the form of a dispute.  The OC can still verify accuracy based on their records.

An identity theft report does not establish factual basis for fraud or identity theft.  It is an assertion by the consumer, supported by their swon statemeent before a law enforcement agency.

Message 5 of 8
Bell536
Contributor

ok.. so why did Midland ask me to send the FTC form to them?  I'm really confused here about what they are doing and what my next step should be...

He said "send the form to me and i'll delete."  

05/31/13 EQ 663 MyFico!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 6 of 8
Bell536
Contributor

I actually have it in writing from them requesting the ftc affadavit.  Is that illegal or just against the rules?  What should be my next step?  Did this happen to you?

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The debt collector can certainly make their own decision to delete on the basis of reciept of a police report or an FTC affidavit.

Nothing improper in their doing so, but it is not compulsory on their part.

Sending it to the CRA ensures that it is immediately blocked from your CR.  No debt collector intevention or deletion is required.

If/when the debt collector also deletes their reporing, it becomes deleted from your credit file, not just blocked from your credit report.

I would still do both.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.